Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2007, 06:39 PM

Default Re: EDF MUSICIANS THREAD (Guitar/Piano/Singers/etc...)

My piano playing experience is in many ways the story of my life: lot of natural talent, not much ambition. Started piano when I was 7 or so from the teacher that was considered the best in town. She made you practice non-stop, and had no qualms about "benching" you from recitals/performances if it was obvious you didn't practice. When she left I went to another teacher who was way more laid back, i.e., I didn't really practice. She was a good teacher, but even without the practice I was still her top student, which I still feel guilty about (meaning, she probably deserved better from me than what I gave). Being in highschool at the time, I thought it would be a lot cooler to play jazz piano instead of classical, and not having learned ANY productive theory, I had to pretty much start from scratch.

Went to college, took lessons as a class, again never practiced, still second-best student.

Barely play at all. I poke around enough to know that if I sat down and tried to learn a piece I could play it almost as well as if I had played it at my "peak" (I'm more disciplined now). Sight reading has gone to hell, but I can sit down and bust out about five of my old performance pieces without even thinking about it. The mind is a crazy thing.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:43 PM

I usually don't post in EDF, but I thought I had to go for this thread.

I started off playing piano when I was 7, I played until I was 14. Then, I picked up the oboe for school, played that for a bout a year, and made the transition to bassoon. I have been playing bassoon since 6th grade and now I'm playing my college's wind ensemble. Not many people play bassoon, so it's a neat thing that I do. I don't know how long I'm going to continue playing, at least through college. I'm also able to play trumpet and trombone very well. I'm not a music major, and probably won't go into any career musically, but I love playing.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:16 PM

I have a dusty Samick 21 fret Les Paul copy not 5 feet from me, and feel guilty that it is dusty. I started playing at 4 on a ukelele, graduated to a 5 string, and on from there. After many years of not playing at all, I now dabble from time to time.

I played Flute for 8 years.

That's it for me musically.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:30 PM

I play guitar, bass, mandolin, dabble in drums & some backing voice.

My setup is kind of outta control. First guitars:

1979 full electric Ovation, but it broke about a year ago
Black Squire strat w/ Vintage Noiseless pups, black perloid pickguard, and all vintage white hardware.
Metallic Red Squire tele w/ Texas Specials and a tortoise pickguard - planning on putting on all gold hardware
Epiphone LP-100 w/ D'marzio Distorion & Air Norton pups w/ all black hardware and upgraded Grover tuners
Gibson Vintage Mahogony LP w/ Burstbucker Pros
Fender Accoustic
Washburn Accoustic Electric

Also have a Squire Jazz Bass and an Ovation Accoustic Electric Mandolin

My pedal setup goes as follows:

DOD EQ
Boss SD-1
Modded Boss DS-1
Modded Ibanez 60's Fuzz
VOX Wah
Boss ME-50 (set to delay, volume pedal, phaser & BD-2)
Boss RC-20 looper

I play all these mainly through my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 1x12 all tube amp. My backup is a Yamaha thirty112 w/ the best reverb out there.

I modded all my guitars and pedals myself, so if any of you are interested in doing this PM me w/ questions. I'm no expert, but I do have experience working w/ the guts of guitars and pedals.

I've been playing guitar for roughly 10 yrs, but really became serious in the last year or two.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:39 AM

Anyone else live in LA or SoCal near LA and want to jam or possibly start up a little band. I'm not joking, I can't put my guitar down and would like to play some live shows. I'm an intermediate player, nothing spectacular but I love practicing and have some live experience and don't have stage fright or any of that.

Check my OP.

PM me if ur out there...
Old 10-30-2007, 02:47 AM

Surfin,

I would be interested in that...I think...but I still am beginner guitarist. Very very beginner.

I came to this thread again because I recently bought a second guitar, a Taylor Baby. It is a 3/4 guitar that I will take with me on my now semi-frequent travels related to my new job.

I have a nice acoustic for home, but didn't want to carry it through airports and the like. I brought an electric guitar on my last trip, a 4 day long trip, and it wasn't cutting it for me.

The Taylor is definitely smaller, should travel well, and sounds decent. Not good, but decent. But alone in a hotel room, it will be a lot more fun to practice scales and other things on the Taylor than on a silent electric.

The dude at the store actually recommended the Martin LXM, another 3/4 travel guitar. I ended up liking the fretboard and sound of the Taylor, so I chose it instead. The Martin was nice, had a nicer bag, and seemed to have a more solid feeling body, but I went with what "felt" better.

Old 10-30-2007, 07:44 AM

I've been playing guitar for about 10-11 years now. However, I would say I have not improved much at all in the last 5-6 years; I just don't play enough. Luckily I have not gotten any worse either, but it is still kind of frustrating. I don't even own an electric guitar anymore, I play solely acoustic on an Ovation Custom. I want to get a new one somewhat soon though, as I would prefer a full-bodied wood as opposed to the rounded plastic back on the Ovation.

I used to get piano lessons from my grandmother when I was a kid (< 10) but I didn't stick with it. Now I want to take it up again, as well as drums. If only I didn't have to work for a living, I would be able to devote more time to music.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:30 PM

been playing guitar/bass/upright bass since i was early teens. 23 now, played in many bands currently playing in a pretty good band. Biggest gig was about 500 people... trying to get signed just about done our new ep. heres a sample of a new tune if anyones interested

http://download.yousendit.com/46C67ACB7A6C3A5A

still yet to be mixed completely and mastered. we are called the quarry. cool that wae have so many musicians here.

my setup is a VOX AC30 and a nice gretsch hollowbody
Old 10-30-2007, 12:50 PM

Any mpls musicians? I've been trying to find people to jam w/ for a about a year now and there's no better way to get better than playing w/ other people...
Old 10-30-2007, 02:19 PM

shaker, I listened to the band you play in and its not bad but it sounds rather generic and boring. Maybe it just needs to be mixed but I don't hear that extra something that makes bands like this big.