Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2007, 10:21 PM

Default Re: Overtimes

Eliminate FGs in OT. Don't let teams kick a damn 30 yarder to win. Make teams go the length of the field. Goal line stands... *drool*
Old 11-02-2007, 10:27 PM

Perfectly Fair Football Overtime:

Team one selects a yardline for the start of overtime that they think is neutral for the defense and offense. Team two selects offense or defense. Commence overtime. First team to score wins.

(This could actually be done with or without a kickoff. You could either select the X yardline to kick from, or forget the kickoff and select Y yardline to start from with 1st and 10)

edit: oh this is from outsiders by the way, not my idea
Old 11-02-2007, 10:28 PM

Idea for football overtime:

Each team gets equal possessions, and they play until one team leads. For example: Team A kicks off to team B. B scores a FG. A scores a TD. A wins. If A fumbled or TO on downs, B wins. If A scored a FG, they kick off to B.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:28 PM

I think continuing to just play the same game you've been playing is generally the best system, but it really isn't quite as viable in football. Baseball it's easy, the game is already divided into innings, so just play another one. Still tied? Do it again. Perfectly fair for both teams. Basketball gets enough scoring that by the time you've played five more minutes both teams have easily gotten equal opportunities, so again, it's fair. In hockey, scoring is rare enough that sudden death works fine, because both teams will almost always get numerous possessions before the first goal is scored, so fairness is once again preserved.

In football there's just no way to duplicate the level of fairness the other sports have. Because the game is divided up into possessions, which can take up significant amounts of time, a shortened period like in basketball doesn't work well because the team to get the ball first gets a huge advantage. Possessions result in scores often enough that sudden death causes the same problem. This is why the NFL system is flawed. The college system addresses the fairness issue by adopting the baseball technique of giving each team an equal "at bat", but introduces a whole new set of flaws by eliminating the value of punts, kickoffs, and field position, thus altering the fundamental game that is being played. In my opinion neither the college or NFL overtime system is "better", they just have different problems. Unfortunately, I really don't think there is any way to have a football overtime system that fair to both teams while maintaining the same fundamental gameplay.

I will say that I think the college system is more exciting, and I enjoy it more as a fan. And I think maintaining fairness in overtime is very good thing to do. I hate what it does to stats, though...
Old 11-02-2007, 10:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Each team gets equal possessions, and they play until one team leads. For example: Team A kicks off to team B. B scores a FG. A scores a TD. A wins. If A fumbled or TO on downs, B wins. If A scored a FG, they kick off to B.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, essentially CFB except with kicking.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:33 PM

NFL overtime should be first team to lead by 4 or have 6 or more overtime points.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd vote that MLB, NBA and NCAAFB are the best overtime structures, and NFL and NHL are the worst.

[/ QUOTE ]

How is NHL the worst? I think hockey shootouts are among the most exciting things in all of sports to watch. I agree that NCAAF is one of the best and NFL is one of the worst though
Old 11-02-2007, 10:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So, essentially CFB except with kicking.

[/ QUOTE ]
If you mean kickoffs and punting, then sure I guess. I think it's better than setting up at the 25, or letting a team kick a FG for a walk off win. This seems to be a hybrid between the NFL and NCAA OT systems.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'd vote that MLB, NBA and NCAAFB are the best overtime structures, and NFL and NHL are the worst.

[/ QUOTE ]

How is NHL the worst? I think hockey shootouts are among the most exciting things in all of sports to watch. I agree that NCAAF is one of the best and NFL is one of the worst though

[/ QUOTE ]

exciting =/= resembles regulation
Old 11-02-2007, 10:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I absolutely despise the fact that they start at the 25 which is an automatic 42 yard field goal. I'd love it if both teams were forced to start at the opposing 40 but I can understand why this wouldn't happen as no one would punt, so again you lose real football. In no way does NCAAFB resemble real football.

[/ QUOTE ]

i disagree with this part. anything to do with throwing a football does indeed resemble real football, however small.