Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2007, 11:44 PM

Default River check raise bluffs

Does anyone at NL200 use river check raise bluffs with any frequency? It's the kind of play you read about a lot at higher limits, but I rarely find opportunities to use it at SSNL. Even NL400 seems to offer limited situations in which it may be useful.

It seems to me the primary problems are that people are far more passive at SSNL, don't value bet as thinly and don't have a fold button. If nobody is folding their AK when they do value bet the river, a check raise isn't a viable option as a bluff. And since people rarely value bet thin on the river, a check raise for value probably isn't going to be as profitable as straight up bet/bet/bet with your monsters, which just makes a c/r bluff more transparent.

Anyone else have any thoughts? It's something i'd love to work into my game, but I really can't work out where it would be particularly useful.

-Andy
Old 11-04-2007, 11:46 PM

Default Re: River check raise bluffs

in order for it to be a credible bluff your opponent has to think you do it with a good enough freq for value, which almost no one at 200 does. simple as that.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:23 AM

Default Re: River check raise bluffs

best spots for c/r bluffs are when villain's hand is face up as one pair. another way to think about it would be that the top of villain's range is one pair.