Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2007, 11:08 AM

Default Re: Organ Donations

peachy, try reading the thread. what proof do you have that hospitals are less likely to try harder to save you? seems like a pretty big conspiracy. i think we all know some people who work in hospitals. wouldn't they all have to be "in on it"?

also i heard 9/11 was an inside job, confirm/deny?
Old 10-04-2007, 11:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
a liver transplant saved my girlfriend's life in 2003 ... she did subsequently pass away two years later due to other complications, but it made me realize that I will donate

before this, i would have never even considered it

[/ QUOTE ]

did you not consider it because you were unaware that the choice to donate existed? or did you previously consciously choose not to donate?

[/ QUOTE ]

consciously chose not to. I figured "why desecrate my body for a stranger"

[/ QUOTE ]

you wouldnt save someone because he is a stranger to you?

wow
Old 10-04-2007, 11:22 AM

again this is a sticky issue

i always felt that i wasnt sure what happened after life, so why take chances by giving up my organ for a stranger. And I knew my religion (Jewish) technically frowned upon it as well. So the idea of giving up an organ for a stranger was ridiculous to me

When my girlfriend got sick, and i learned so much about organ donation lists and how many people were waiting, i was shocked. Completely shocked.

So now my opinion is different. And i will donate. But i still respect people that do not want to. It is not as cut and dry as people in this thread are making it out to be
Old 10-04-2007, 11:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i said no, and never really thought about it

[/ QUOTE ]

the fact that you came to a decision is proof that at least some thought was involved.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i said no, and never really thought about it

[/ QUOTE ]

the fact that you came to a decision is proof that at least some thought was involved.

[/ QUOTE ]

right i guess some thought was involved, but to tell you the truth i don't even remember being asked, although i guess i had to have been? it was 10 years ago and i really don't remember. also i was 17 i probably wasn't thinking, hmm but if i donate organs i could help people out! instead it was probably more like,

"would you like to be an organ donor?"

"hm, nah"
Old 10-04-2007, 11:42 AM

i think a bigger issue is post transplant care and having general doctors specializing in transplant patients, but maybe i'll start a thread on that another time
Old 10-04-2007, 11:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
it also means when you are dying in the hospital...that they are less likely to try harder to save you --- bonus = they get your organs!!

[/ QUOTE ]
The doctor who would be in charge of saving your life would most likely be some sort of trauma or heart surgeon, ER doctor, oncologist, etc. The kind of doctor who would be helping patients in need of organ transplants would be someone like a nephrologist, hepatologist, cardiologist, etc. What reason would the 1st group of MDs have for valuing the 2nd group of MDs’ patients more than their own?

[/ QUOTE ]

Also realize that none of the above doctors get to decide who gets the organ. An Organ Procurement Organization will do a "match run" against the UNOS List of waiting recipients. Then a placement team goes to work for each transplantable organ and begins making calls. They call the transplant surgeon for each patient on the list (generated by UNOS), starting from the top, and offer the organ (they send a mountain of data about the organ too) to each one until one of the surgeons accepts it.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:32 PM

Also, brain death is generally a requirement prior to organ removal for transplantation. If you think that doctors are declaring people brain dead (or hoping/helping them to end up that way) then you should seriously consider a tin-foil hat to protect yourself.

Having been directly involved in many organ donation situations, I can assure you that organ donation only comes up when there is absolutely no hope for recovery. To be honest, we wait too long in many cases and organs are no longer usable in order to make sure that the patient has no chance.

A few weeks ago I heard back from the organ bank that one of our patients donated to I think 7 or 8 separate recipients. She was a relatively young woman who had a horrible bleed in her brain. We would have done anything to save her but she was brain dead.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A few weeks ago I heard back from the organ bank that one of our patients donated to I think 7 or 8 separate recipients. She was a relatively young woman who had a horrible bleed in her brain. We would have done anything to save her but she was brain dead.

[/ QUOTE ]
[censored], I wouldn't even mind getting killed by evil doctors if it saved eight people.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
[censored], I wouldn't even mind getting killed by evil doctors if it saved eight people.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow.. that takes us back to that old oot post, would you sacrifice yourself to save X random strangers and if so how large is X.