Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2007, 11:38 AM

Default Re: Official NE Patriots gogogogo to the SB thread

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I haven't been too impressed with the running game yet, but they haven't really needed it.

[/ QUOTE ]

that has been the weakest "unit" I think. still, the run game was ok (32 carries, 144 yards, lots of 1st down runs last night). they were able to grind out long drives vs the Jets, and in the 2nd half they had success vs. the Chargers. though I'm sure some of this was related to Jamal Williams being hurt, some of it was probably related to the SD def. being exhausted.

the offensive gameplan last night was great I thought. "SD has a great run defense, a questionable secondary, and they love to blitz. so lets spread the field, attack the secondary, let the defense tire themselves by blitzing over and over, and when they tire, start slamming ahead."

it obviously won't be that simple against Baltimore, or against Chicago, or other defenses with balance at all positions. but I'm not sure those teams will be able to score more than 10 offensive points against NE.

[/ QUOTE ]

Biggest issue last night was TOs and NE ability to stop the run. Rivers just made really stupid mistakes. I know he went 14-2 last year but they got lucky and LT saved them on numerous occasions. NE also did a really good job at stop LT last night. Baltimore's O is really bad still. I think they have o-line problems more than anything. Even with Ogden in, it is just a bad o-line.

Chicago has a good D but Rex makes way too many errors to beat a team like NE.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I haven't been too impressed with the running game yet, but they haven't really needed it.

[/ QUOTE ]
One of the surprises I saw was how well Sammy Morris has been backing up Maroney. I don't think Maroney would be able to carry the entire load himself. He isn't big enough to powerhouse his way through and his stutter step gets him into trouble more often than not. Morris has done a nice job taking some of the load off his back. Their running game isn't even close to elite, but it's enough.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
well, besides one small issue, , nothing could be going better for the Pats. the team is performing at an extremely high level right now.

this is going to sound extremely homerish/obnoxious, but right now this team is a touchdown better than anyone else in the NFL.

[/ QUOTE ]

its been 2games, way to early to say they are that much better than everyone
Old 09-17-2007, 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
well, besides one small issue, , nothing could be going better for the Pats. the team is performing at an extremely high level right now.

this is going to sound extremely homerish/obnoxious, but right now this team is a touchdown better than anyone else in the NFL.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You know, you make a good point. I was thinking about this very thing this morning and was thinking "it's possible that the Jets and Chargers are just really not that good this year". It happens every year in the NFL where teams that were really good one year, all of a sudden suck or are mediocre and vice versa.

Plus the Patriots were riding an emotional high on Sunday as the players rallied around their coach. But you have to admit, it does look promising.
Old 09-17-2007, 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You know, you make a good point. I was thinking about this very thing this morning and was thinking "it's possible that the Jets and Chargers are just really not that good this year". It happens every year in the NFL where teams that were really good one year, all of a sudden suck or are mediocre and vice versa.

Plus the Patriots were riding an emotional high on Sunday as the players rallied around their coach. But you have to admit, it does look promising.

[/ QUOTE ]

but you just can't discount the fact that the pats have been an elite team for 6+ years now, made a ton of great offseason moves and now have absolutely dominated a decent team and a great team.

Yes, 2 games isn't that meaningful but god damn, that is some powerful evidence .
Old 09-17-2007, 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

the one bright thing in the Pats schedule is no Denver

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, cause you know watching them struggle against the powerhouse of Oakland would have BB totally stumped.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

the one bright thing in the Pats schedule is no Denver

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, cause you know watching them struggle against the powerhouse of Oakland would have BB totally stumped.

[/ QUOTE ]

So what they struggled with Oakland. If you've watched the Pats for a while you'll know that Mike S has Bill B's number for the most part. He also has 2 really good cover corners. I doubt they would beat them this year, but I think Denver would slow the pass O of the Pats a little.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:06 PM

I hate you guys. I want Moss back soooooo bad. At least when he was in Oakland it didn't seem so bad, but now it is like a weekly slap in the face.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:07 PM

I wish the Pats played Den next week...i'd make a killing on the Bronco's moneyline.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:10 PM

i'm happy not to see the broncos until the postseason, if at all. they always play us tough and they match up well with us. i think we're a significantly better team this year, but games like that scare you because you know they're gunning for you and have some confidence, and have a game plan that can work if they execute it.

i feel much better playing a team like the ravens or the bengals, who i feel we can beat pretty regularly even if we miss a beat or two.