Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness

Old 11-28-2007, 04:35 PM

Default Please to be Evaluating my Workout Routine

I recently, about a month ago, started working out for the first time in my life. Due to the fact that I hate gyms and am busy, I've tried to put together a small, manageable routine I can do at home.

Every other day, I do a set of pushups to failure, 50 crunches, 15 reps with the ab wheel, another set of pushups to failure, and 50 more crunches.

On my off days, I just do some form of cardio, jumping rope or whatever. And I walk at least a couple of miles every day.

Also, I do about ten minutes of stretching every day, as well.

My goals with this routine are overall health, strength and flexibility, but I would also like some increased muscle definition, as well. I should say, I'm already in relatively good shape, i.e. I'm not a fatty and have a low BMI, and have already noticed some results in the definition department.

What else can I be doing or could I be doing better? What am I doing wrong? Please be gentle as I'm a total exercise noob, and I've just kind of cobbled this system together from reading stuff on this board and a couple of others. Thanks in advance...
Old 11-28-2007, 04:43 PM

Default Re: Please to be Evaluating my Workout Routine

you can find a ton of bodyweight exercises if you search here and other sites....def add something for your legs, squats/lunges/rdl...add soemthing for back pullups on a door or inverted rows under a table...
Old 11-29-2007, 04:30 PM

You could buy a pair of dumbells, anywhere from 15lbs-30 lbs depending on your strength to add some bicep/tricep/shoulder exercises. Also these can be used to perform lunges,step-ups, squats, and a ton of other exercises. I do agree with the above post to add some leg exercises. For your goals you might wanna put together a full body routine to do twice a week, then cardio the other days
Old 11-29-2007, 04:53 PM

Does twice a week do the trick? That was one thing I was wondering about--if I've been overdoing it.

I'm definitely gonna add some leg stuff, too.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Every other day, I do a set of pushups to failure, 50 crunches, 15 reps with the ab wheel, another set of pushups to failure, and 50 more crunches.

On my off days, I just do some form of cardio, jumping rope or whatever. And I walk at least a couple of miles every day.

Also, I do about ten minutes of stretching every day, as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a nice program. I prefer to skip the crunches in favor of occasional L-Sits and Plank static holds, mix up the push-up variations, and add pull-ups and squat/squat variations. I don't like failure-- fatigue has a way of catching up with you where you simply find you don't have the taste to workout one day, and then the next, and then three months later you remember when you used to be in shape.

It's nice to have a suite of self-test/evaluation workouts to check out your progress and keep score. You may also enjoy kettlebell training or eventually change your stance on barbell training. Diversity helps the body and mind, I think.