3x5x195
Felt pretty good.

<u>Deadlifts:</u>
5x135
3x185
1x210
1x245
5x260
Really hard. Grip started to give a little on the last rep. I was pretty close to missing a rep too. I definitely couldn't do 5 more pounds. I'm also considering substituting something for deadlifts on friday to let my back recover. I'm pretty sure I could use a little break. Although every time I feel that way in other lifts I am able to progress, so who knows.

I want to break 300 by christmas. Doable?

<u>Chinups:</u>
3, 3, 2.5
will do some pullups later today.

<u>Dips</u>
2x10
think I'm gonna get a dip belt and add weight
Old 11-21-2007, 05:36 AM

Default Re: theblackkeys\' \"Starting Strength\" log

my butt area kinda hurts sometimes, especially if I squat down. I think I will skip power cleans and deadlifts for at least this week, and then see how I feel. Probably just stick to upper body tomorrow and friday.

Pretty sure it's from too-heavy deadlifts.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
my butt area kinda hurts sometimes, especially if I squat down. I think I will skip power cleans and deadlifts for at least this week, and then see how I feel. Probably just stick to upper body tomorrow and friday.

Pretty sure it's from too-heavy deadlifts.

[/ QUOTE ]
took the holiday week off. I was pretty tired and getting near sticking points anyways.

Today was kinda light, I might just start back up from these weights, and drop 20 lbs on bench press and 35 lbs on deadlift for my other workout.

<u>Press:</u>
8x65
5x85
3x5x100

<u>Power Cleans:</u>
8x95
5x3x115

3, 3

<u>Dips:</u>
8, 8

Did some facepulls as well.
Old 12-01-2007, 02:20 PM

blah, missed thursday's workout.

<u>Press:</u>
3x5x115

<u>Power Cleans:</u>
8x95
5x3x135

<u>Overhead Squat:</u>
4x3x45
Is it correct to kinda feel like you are pinching your shoulder blades back together? I mean as sort of a teaching cue to myself.

<u>Bench Press:</u>
3x5x175

3, 3, 2

<u>Dips:</u>
2x8
Old 12-01-2007, 02:29 PM

For overhead squats think "active shoulders". Put your hands over your head and tighten everything around your shoulders - your hands should move up a couple inches. Do that at all times when you are holding the bar, it will make a stable platform.
Old 12-01-2007, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is it correct to kinda feel like you are pinching your shoulder blades back together? I mean as sort of a teaching cue to myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes

http://performancemenu.com/daily/vid...hFB10-6-07.mov
Old 12-01-2007, 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yes

http://performancemenu.com/daily/vid...hFB10-6-07.mov

[/ QUOTE ]
thx yo. Pushing up is a good cue. "active shoulders" doesn't really mean anything to me. Tense is probably a better word for most people I'd think. Head forward is good too.

Also, a little bit of arm rotation is possible in the locked out position, should my elbows be pointing a certain direction?
Old 12-01-2007, 04:04 PM

Watch the entire video, if you didn't. I remember a couple of gems in there, but it may be that you need to already know to begin with.

Your shoulder blades are 1) pulled back and 2) down and your shoulders are 3) actively pressing 4) up with your 5) head through the window and 6) your elbows will be locked out-- 7) and out.

It all works together. "active shoulders" are "in your ears." Well, kinda. Consider the bottom of the pullup. Even though you are at full extension. Your elbows are a bit soft and your shoulders are not relaxed-- even when you hang, to do it safely, you must keep them tense. That is a variation on the same theme of keeping them active.

I don't know if this is helping...
Old 12-01-2007, 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

thx yo. Pushing up is a good cue. "active shoulders" doesn't really mean anything to me. Tense is probably a better word for most people I'd think.

[/ QUOTE ]

One of the good cues I learned for the Turkish Getup is to imagine "pushing through your shoulders". That is you imagine the flex coming all the way from your torso, through your shoulders and through your arms. eg. you are actively moving the shoulders towards the weight to carry it with your muscles. At the same time the shoulders should be in the pocket, which means scaps backs.
Old 12-01-2007, 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Watch the entire video, if you didn't. I remember a couple of gems in there, but it may be that you need to already know to begin with.

Your shoulder blades are 1) pulled back and 2) down and your shoulders are 3) actively pressing 4) up with your 5) head through the window and 6) your elbows will be locked out-- 7) and out.

It all works together. "active shoulders" are "in your ears." Well, kinda. Consider the bottom of the pullup. Even though you are at full extension. Your elbows are a bit soft and your shoulders are not relaxed-- even when you hang, to do it safely, you must keep them tense. That is a variation on the same theme of keeping them active.

I don't know if this is helping...

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I was actually thinking about the shoulders thing during pullups while I was OHS'ing. I think I'll add a few pounds next time to get a little more feedback on bar position throughout the movement.