Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2007, 04:30 AM

Default Re: Help my horse (and me)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
PS how DO you play AK?? - I swear I'd have a better winrate if I open folded it everytime - something must be wrong there

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm glad you had the nerve to ask that, because I struggle with it as well. If I ever figure it out, I'll write a poohbah post on it. Ironically enough, I'm good with JJ and 76s. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

i'll be very interested to know if Small Cards changes your play of 76s. when we get to that chapter in the study group / seminar, let me know ok?

[/ QUOTE ]

will do

I bother the full table nits at PokerStars by raising 76s UTG. They hate it when their sets run into straights from the LAGtard raising UTG with 76. hahahhahha
Old 01-06-2007, 04:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]

(For those of you who are curious, I gave up online poker last spring. The video game + poker addiction aspect was interfering with sleep -- I couldn't sleep well after playing -- so I quit. And for those of you who have to hear it, yes, I won a lot and still could easily.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, i'm curious what level did you beat and for how many PTbb/100?

You're obviously a respected poster and now author, its just that i've never heard of anyone quitting poker 'cold turkey' while beating big games for 'a lot.'
Old 01-06-2007, 04:49 AM

party for life yo! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-06-2007, 04:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

(For those of you who are curious, I gave up online poker last spring. The video game + poker addiction aspect was interfering with sleep -- I couldn't sleep well after playing -- so I quit. And for those of you who have to hear it, yes, I won a lot and still could easily.)

[/ QUOTE ]

You're obviously a respected poster and now author, its just that i've never heard of anyone quitting poker 'cold turkey' while beating big games for 'a lot.'

[/ QUOTE ]

You assume he just quit and lays around his house doing nothing, which isn't what he said.

Diablo, for example, was a winning 50/100 player who quit to go into venture capitalism. More accurately, he invested his bankroll in founding a business, after which he no longer had the time/roll to play the big game.

Now I only played $1/$2, but I played it pretty heavily, and I've "quit" as well -- or, again, more accurately, I cashed out about 30k to pay for this "MBA" thing that will probably end up dwarfing my poker winnings, and now I've got like $500 left to play with online, but no time, thanks to that grad school thing. And little inclination to play the games I am rolled for (can't muster the emotion to grind 25NL in the 4 hours/week I have time to play, if that).

My point is, winning players "quit" all the time. To start businesses, write books, go to grad school, become traders on wall street, or just because they cannot stand poker anymore because it bores them. Dunno which is Matt's excuse [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 01-06-2007, 05:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You assume he just quit and lays around his house doing nothing, which isn't what he said.

Diablo, for example, was a winning 50/100 player who quit to go into venture capitalism. More accurately, he invested his bankroll in founding a business, after which he no longer had the time/roll to play the big game.

Now I only played $1/$2, but I played it pretty heavily, and I've "quit" as well -- or, again, more accurately, I cashed out about 30k to pay for this "MBA" thing that will probably end up dwarfing my poker winnings, and now I've got like $500 left to play with online, but no time, thanks to that grad school thing. And little inclination to play the games I am rolled for (can't muster the emotion to grind 25NL in the 4 hours/week I have time to play, if that).

My point is, winning players "quit" all the time. To start businesses, write books, go to grad school, become traders on wall street, or just because they cannot stand poker anymore because it bores them. Dunno which is Matt's excuse [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought matt was a doctor and budding real estate mogul, so absolutely it would make sense for him to play less as other avenues increase in profitability. Its just the 'quit completely' part i found odd. I figured maybe like El D, he ran into tough times at bigger games, got frustrated, etc.

As for you, and others who "cash out to cover expenses," I'm not buying it. You're pretty smug about this 'mba thing' but it really sounds like you were doing well, then started losing a bit, and did the smart thing by cashing out money you might lose. If not, then why on earth leave yourself a 500 roll, when a larger roll would allow you to make more than any part time job you'll have in grad school. Its like a farmer selling his tractor, a carpenter his tools, etc. Again, just sounds like typical poker player b.s.
Old 01-06-2007, 06:48 AM

Location: coaching poker and writing \"Professional No-Limit Hold\'em\" for Two Plus Two Publishing with Matt Flynn and Ed Miller

[ QUOTE ]
just sounds like typical poker player b.s.

[/ QUOTE ]

guys,

That's the whole thing is that this business is full of b.s. - it's up to the individual to determine how to wade through it. Even if Matt and I rattled off a bunch of winrate and dollar numbers, it still doesn't make it a fact or mean that everyone or anyone would (or should) believe it.

Our book will speak for itself. (Just like our advice on this forum.) It's up to the reader to determine what they can use. While I can CERTAINLY understand that anyone considering advice should want to know the credibility of the source, I think we all know that that's why we're here - because 2+2's credibility as a poker educator is second to none. It's why their books sell better than every other poker publishing house, and why we all keep coming back to these forums!

Lucky, I know your question was totally meant with good intentions, so this isn't at all directed at you personally. I just wanted to nip the subject in the bud right now. Matt is free to divulge as much about his poker or personal life as he wants, but I know I certainly wouldn't give detailed financial information about myself. It's not really anyone's business but mine. Besides, I could tell you that I've played and beaten online NL games from $.50/$1 to $25/$50 at an excellent winrate for hundreds of thousands of hands, or that I lived in Las Vegas and played 40 hours a week, or that I've spent the last three years making a six-figure salary solely from playing no-limit hold'em, but really, who cares? A lot of great players have written crappy books, so I personally would rather let my book do the talking.

[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

-S
Old 01-06-2007, 10:52 AM

Sunny,

We don't care about your online winrate. We just want to know how you fair against David, Mason and Ray Zee at the 2+2 Sunday home game [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-06-2007, 11:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought matt was a doctor and budding real estate mogul, so absolutely it would make sense for him to play less as other avenues increase in profitability. Its just the 'quit completely' part i found odd. I figured maybe like El D, he ran into tough times at bigger games, got frustrated, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

I beat all levels I played save for the 2+2 drinkfests and 50/100, which I played once heads-up. Keep in mind that the games have gotten a lot bigger in the past several months. Mostly I played 6-max 5-10 when that was the biggest 6-max on Party. I beat the living [censored] out of it. After the dust settled, I was the biggest winner in my PT database over all my accounts for players with 10K or more hands save for Toothpicky who had 12K or 14K hands and beat me by some huge figure like $0.80/hand. I didn't datamine, so that's stats of players playing me. I then beat up shorthanded 10-20, but not for nearly as much PT/100 as people had started to figure out 6-max and the better players rose, and was down to maybe 5 hours a week online on a few different sites.

Poker is recreation for me. The online money is not compelling enough to justify the time and side effects even though the money's good. I did not stop poker, just stopped playing online. The real reason was it got boring and made it hard for me to sleep. I had a job and didn't need another one. So once it became non-entertaining and was costing me sleep, I made a life decision and quit online. I still play live - a fair amount - and mostly 5/10 because that's what we have here.

For those who do not know, I am a full-time doctor, have a family, and do some real estate investing, and so have limited free time.

Matt
Old 01-06-2007, 11:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sunny,

We don't care about your online winrate. We just want to know how you fair against David, Mason and Ray Zee at the 2+2 Sunday home game [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is easy. David would play two hands then spend the rest of the night betting horses, making various phone calls, and hooking up with young women. Ray Zee has almost no self control and would play 70-80% of hands and likely go bust in a few orbits, then pull the old scam where he tries to exchange Montana currency for American money. "No, Ray, I do not want to buy a gen-u-ine beaver pelt." That would leave Mason and Sunny heads up, at which point it'd be all about game selection, with the edge to Mason unless David's girlfriend were sweating him, because she has serious tells.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
FT has better bonuses too, it think they still do the %100 up to $600 for signup. a nice help to a starting bankroll.

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy *&^$! Nice!

[/ QUOTE ]
fwiw this took me like 18 days of solid 4-8 tabling 7 hours a day to clear at nl100.