Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2007, 12:48 AM

Default Final table fish?

Is Yang a massive fish. I read the summary on PokerListings and it looks like Yang is a complete fish/calling station. Is my assumption correct?

Which players at the FT were not fish?
Watkinson and Kravchenko?

I don't understand how fish can get to the FT of a 6300+ man tournament. i would expect the FT players to be much better than the average player.

the fish might win 1, 2 or even 5 lucky hands but that's not enough luck to reach the FT or win the ME. what's going on?
Old 07-19-2007, 12:58 AM

Default Re: Final table fish?

I don't recall Alex or Rain making any real donkish plays. Everyone else had their moments. Yang, however, more than made up for his fishy calls (if you even want to call them that since he had the best hand on most of them) by being relentlessly aggressive.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:59 AM

Honestly I think it's pretty hard to judge someone's game based on this. None of us can imagine the amount of pressure they were under...8 million dollars does strange things to people. Aside from playing way too scared, I didn't see any glaring errors from anyone (ok, so the KK hand was pretty bad.) As for Yang, obviously he made some donkish calls, but you can't argue with the success his total maniac style had...no one would play a hand with him, and when they did he did well enough.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:05 AM

Yang was somewhat aggressive at the table. Raising, re-raising & being the big stack bully. If you tried to limp, he would raise & put the pressure back on you. A lot of the time it was folded to him & he took the pot.

He did not play the role of fish. Did he get some suck-outs? Yep, but so does anyone playing poker.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:07 AM

He went from 8th in chips to chip leader without showing down a hand in the beginning. That was pretty impressive.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:56 AM

Definitely not a fish. Hyper-aggro LAG that calls too loose against jams PF, the only defense was to really pick up a big hand and jam with it or see a lot of flops OOP (Jerry's flop play HU was quite good though IIRC). Unfortunately the first 5 players kept jamming with nothing PF... you'd think after he knocks out 3 players you would stop pushing with weak hands deep but... okay.
Old 07-19-2007, 03:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is Yang a massive fish. I read the summary on PokerListings and it looks like Yang is a complete fish/calling station. Is my assumption correct?

[/ QUOTE ]

He might be a fish at life but he played a very solid chipleader game. He has leaks but he made up for them with aggression.

[ QUOTE ]

Which players at the FT were not fish?
Watkinson and Kravchenko?

[/ QUOTE ]

Kahn should definitely be on this list, maybe others

[ QUOTE ]

I don't understand how fish can get to the FT of a 6300+ man tournament.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL You are way off buddy. It is very easy for a fish to make it through a field of 6300 players and it happens in every single MTT ever played.

Also, the ME is the softest tournament field of the year... there are a ton of bad players in this tourney

[ QUOTE ]

i would expect the FT players to be much better than the average player.

[/ QUOTE ]

on average players at the FT are better; that is to say that in the long run better players will make more FTs then worse players

[ QUOTE ]

the fish might win 1, 2 or even 5 lucky hands but that's not enough luck to reach the FT or win the ME. what's going on?

[/ QUOTE ]

6300 people flip a coin. If you get heads you go on, if you get tails you are eliminated.

1st flip - 6300 people
2nd flip - 3150 people
3rd flip - 1575 people
4th flip - 788 people
5th flip - 394 people
6th flip - 197 people
7th flip - 98 people
8th flip - 49 people
9th flip - 25 people
10th flip - 12 people

So if the field consists of 6300 fish flipping coins for their whole stack 12 people will win every single flip up until the final table.
Old 07-19-2007, 03:47 AM

Hilm and Lam are also pretty good players. Rahme is not a strong player, but he used his tight image sometimes and overbet to simplify. I was not impressed by Childs or Kalmer.

All were pros besides Yang and Rahme. I think this was the most pros at the final table atleast since Moneymaker won.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:56 AM

thanks for all the replies. very informative.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He did not play the role of fish. Did he get some suck-outs? Yep, but so does anyone playing poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol WSOP donkament