Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2007, 01:04 PM

Default Home tourny all-in decision

Small home tourney...3 players left, two places pay. I am on the buttone with ~16,000, SB has ~9,000, BB has ~25,000. Blinds are at 500/1000. I have KQ diamonds and call. SB raises to 4,000 total, BB calls, I call.

Flop comes 8, 9, 10 two diamonds. SB checks, BB goes all-in. What do I do?

I end up calling...I figure any J and any diamond plus two over cards. BB had flopped nut straight with J,7...I hit my diamond on the turn and go on to win tourney.

My question of "What should I do" is because I was given some grief about "making that call"...was it that bad of a call regardless of the outcome?

Thanks
Old 11-16-2007, 01:11 PM

Default Re: Home tourny all-in decision

So there's effectively 24,000 in the pot assuming SB is going to fold before you call and you have 12,000 left. You actually had 43% equity against his specific hand, so if you would even be able to put him on that you were correct to call.

Against a range of possible hands that he might have you were almost a coinflip, so yeah I'd insta call this. NH

Text results appended to pokerstove.txt

63,360 games 0.005 secs 12,672,000 games/sec

Board: 8d 9d Tc
Dead:

equity win tie pots won pots tied
Hand 0: 47.740% 47.32% 00.42% 29979 269.00 { KdQd }
Hand 1: 52.260% 51.84% 00.42% 32843 269.00 { TT-88, ATs-A9s, QJs, T9s, 98s, ATo-A9o, QJo, Js7c, T9o, 98o }
Old 11-16-2007, 01:37 PM

First off, you shoulda raised from the button there. The call is not horrible there but you made it and won so who cares what they think. lol

I'm no rounder so take it with a grain of salt.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:44 PM

3 handed, you should have raised to $3k preflop with that hand.

Anyway, preflop, there's 12K in the pot. You have $12K left, SB has $5K, BB has $21K.

Flop gives you two overs, plus the flush. Forgetting about the two overs here (since we know he had the straight), you're a 2:1 dog to hit the flush. Plus a Jack gives you the nut straight, so really, you have 12 outs, making you about a 6:5 underdog to win.

SB checks, BB goes all in.

Effectively, there's $24K in the pot for you, not counting SB possible money. Calling gives you 2:1 on your money, so you're getting the right price, since you're in a basic coin flip situation here.

So no, it's not a bad call. It just sucks flopping a straight and losing to the flush.
Old 11-16-2007, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was given some grief about "making that call"

[/ QUOTE ]
You can tell your buddies that when they have the best hand and all their chips in the pot, they should want a call. Well at least most sane poker players do.

Instead, what he appeared to be whining about was losing a hand where he was a favourite. Gee whiz, I think that's about the second time I heard about that happening this month.
Old 11-16-2007, 04:28 PM

I think I understand what you guys are saying...but after the (sb) short stack raised 3,000 pre-flop(leaving him only ~6,000 more) and then with the (bb) Big stack calling...do you guys really think I should re-raise here? I decided to just call because I felt like if the sb hit the flop, he is certainly all-in and if the bb calls him and I hit nothing I can easily get away from my hand.
Old 11-16-2007, 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
First off, you shoulda raised from the button there. The call is not horrible there but you made it and won so who cares what they think. lol

[/ QUOTE ]

"I (You) won, didn't I (You)," has to be an example of one of the worst kinds of thinking.

Would you be saying that if he played 7 2 off and won?

People need to examine their wins and losses.
Old 11-16-2007, 04:39 PM

It was three handed, you were first to act preflop, and with KQs, you should have raised.
Old 11-16-2007, 04:44 PM

I agree with the raise to open action, but once you don't do that, I love your play for one simple reason - you had position and exploited it correctly both in theory and practice (hey that's a book title!)

SB makes a terrible play with the raise, he should be thinking shove or fold. By just calling his raise, you get to see everything happen before you act - this is just so powerful in no limit play.

And as far as his whining, ignore it. It was basically a post-flop coinflip and you got lucky. You were right to race (another important poker concept, knowing when its time to just gamble it up).
Old 11-16-2007, 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"I (You) won, didn't I (You)," has to be an example of one of the worst kinds of thinking.

Would you be saying that if he played 7 2 off and won?

People need to examine their wins and losses.

[/ QUOTE ]

may i ask where you quoted that from. omg i can't see how you got that from what i said. snap judgements are a hoot.