Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2007, 01:24 AM

Default Re: ***Official 2007-2008 NHL Season Thread***

the instigator penalty is called less often in the 3rd period because of the new rule brought in that calls for a mandatory suspension + fine of the player + fine of the coach for instigating a fight in the final five minutes of a game.

my guess is that if it's as egregious as you say, they might go ahead and do that anyway.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]

My point was that the rankings suck and are disgraceful

I can't comment on what happened as I havn't seen it yet. I stopped watching the game after the Thornton goal, so missed all the drama

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, the rankings are stupid. Nashville, with a losing record, is ahead of several good teams.

If I'm not mistaken, the rankings are somewhat based on stat projections of players.

Yup: "Note: Power Rankings are produced using a formula that takes into account a compilation of individual player grades based on statistical production. More importantly, the team grades intend to take into account which players are in the lineup to replace those who are out due to injury or suspension and aim to reflect which team would win a seven-game series on a neutral rink."

So if the Ducks last year had Pronger or Nieds out, they would have dropped in the rankings, despite a game without them is really insignificant. If a player gets hot, the team rises. It's really a dumb way to power rank teams.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the instigator penalty is called less often in the 3rd period because of the new rule brought in that calls for a mandatory suspension + fine of the player + fine of the coach for instigating a fight in the final five minutes of a game.

my guess is that if it's as egregious as you say, they might go ahead and do that anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe both players have to drop the gloves and engage for it to be an instigator as well. In this case, gloves weren't dropped by everyone- so an instigator can't be called (which is retarded IMO). Cooke will receive a 10-game suspension for being the first player over and be fined the maximum allowed under the CBA. The team will be fined $10,000 (big deal) and the Coach might be suspended/fined $10,000.

Cooke was a healthy scratch in the previous Canucks game. The coach told him he needed to play his game and be an agitator to get back in the lineup.... seems like a roughing penalty + the altercation was a bit much. Thornton stated what he thought of Cooke to the Vancouver media before tonight's game.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:48 AM

Wow, Cooke might have been on the ice the entire time, not sure.

I think the Canuck feed showed everything more clearly, so things might be dropped... I only had access to the SJ feed where Drew Remenda was using UFC terminology.

Good picture:
http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/344...024x768oy1.jpg
I never saw that... they only showed it when Cooke appeared to be sitting on the bench door and really had his arm under Clowe. From a Canucks' POV, Clowe came in and checked Ritchie and Cooke (not sure if he was on the ice or jumped on) grabbed Clowe and that's when SJ cameras started focusing on Clowe.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:56 PM

okay, big deal, there was a scrum and the sharks had their 150-pounders on the ice against the overpowering figure of matt cooke

what's really pissing me off is how [censored] bad kiprusoff is playing right now. going into tonight's game (that he indeed started), he was sporting a 3.33 GAA and .875 SV%. not to mention calgary has blown a 4-0 lead early in the second to go into the second intermission tied 4-4 against colorado. jesus, the season is barely two and a half weeks old and he's already got me pulling my hair out over fantasy hockey
Old 10-17-2007, 09:18 PM

anyone else have the displeasure of watching the Devils/Pens game

what a joke this is
Old 10-17-2007, 09:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
anyone else have the displeasure of watching the Devils/Pens game

what a joke this is

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm having the pleasure of watching it - some weak calls for sure, but the Pens are babies.
Old 10-20-2007, 01:38 PM

bump

bought a ticket off stubhub for the devils' home opener - this new arena is going to be sick.

and here's an insane goal by jonathan toews: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obp8G2JFgkM
Old 10-20-2007, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
bump

bought a ticket off stubhub for the devils' home opener - this new arena is going to be sick.

and here's an insane goal by jonathan toews: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obp8G2JFgkM

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, simply wow.
Old 10-20-2007, 04:37 PM

that was a pretty sick move, chicago has a lot of young talent and they're finally starting to show it now (too bad they don't have havlat)

p.s. the first link of that vid is him swearing in an interview... hilarious