Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 09-10-2007, 05:51 PM

Default ***Official 2007 49ers Thread***

Thought we had one of these already, but when I searched it looked like it was just the offseason thread. Really pumped they get to cap off the first week of the season. The offense is primed for improvements and I think the defense will take a big step forward, but don't think they will be as good as some people are expecting.

Goal #1: Don't get swept by the Cardinals!!

I guess winning the division would be pretty cool too [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Old 09-10-2007, 06:04 PM

Default Re: ***Official 2007 49ers Thread***

sorry friend, but I have to root against the 49ers all year. we got yer 1st round pick [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-10-2007, 06:59 PM

Goal #1 is definitely a good place to start, lol. I'm with you on holding back expectations a little bit compared to some of the hype, the phrase "cautious optimism" comes to mind. Here's hoping, though, my biggest concern is whether the defense can tackle well enough, but the offense ought to be fun to watch, especially if Gore is in good shape.

GO NINERS!!!
Old 09-11-2007, 02:04 AM

I'll take it. This team still has a long way to go to competing but it's in the right direction. Some can be blamed for the lack of the O playing at all together in the pre-season. D looked really good, hopefully O will come around. Very happy with 2ndary. Just need to stop the run better. Too many holes. Willis was awesome, as expected.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:06 AM

Willis is a [censored] beast. Offense still has a long way to go...
Old 09-11-2007, 02:12 AM

Agreed. The offense was horrific. Didn't look like the Oline really got going, and Smith's terrible game was moving anyone out of the box. Seemed like Jackson dropped a lot of balls, but coming in Seahawks fans said that was to be expected. Battle had a great game all things considered. VD was basically nonexistent, didn't really see if it was the coverage or whatever. Don't really need to comment on Smith's performance, but I do think he should run more. There were plenty of times earlier in the game where he was pressured and hung around too long.

Pretty happy with how the D played. Leinart certainly helped them out, but when he did complete a ball the secondary was usually there with a quick tackle, which I thought was a concern with Arizona's WR. Clements and Harris were great in particular. I didn't really notice Lewis's play, but as long as he's not getting burnt deep I'm pretty happy. I saw that way too often watching Philly games in the past. Willis is a stud and Bryant Young had a pretty good game for a 60 year old
Old 09-11-2007, 09:25 AM

3 Observations from Game 1:

1)The offense was HORRIBLE, particularly the O-Line. Smith had no time, Gore had no chance.

2)The Niner secondary literally could not have performed better. They completely shut down one of the best WR pairs in football. (Willis was also quite studly)

3)I think all Niner fans should write a thank you letter to the the Cardinals coaches, for not teaching their players how to stand still before a play (not to mention the other bonehead penalties). We probably would have lost if they had kept the penalties to a minimum.

I didn't think we played particularly well, but a win's a win. Next week: @ the Rams w/o Orlando Pace!
Old 09-11-2007, 09:37 AM

don't ask me why I picked the Niners the first week of my survival pick'em pool, but good god, I was happy last night when they came back
Old 09-11-2007, 01:21 PM

There's a reason why the Seahawks let D.Jac go in the same division - Seattle used to be Drop City and he was a huge part of that. Hopefully the 9'ers offense is going to get better, but the passing game doesn't look good. They're primed for nothing but short passes to Gore and Davis, which is too one dimensional.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:25 PM

I don't disagree, but you can't really argue that DJax doesn't improve their WR corps. It's a sad reality, but DJax is 1000x better as a #1 receiver than Antonio Bryant [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Battle is a great hands/possession type guy, so I'll be pretty happy as long as DJax stretches the field occasionally and VD actually shows up.