Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2007, 12:51 AM

Default A typical good LAG\'s preflop range?

X-post from theory, but I'm getting no replies there.

After a while of playing LAG on freerolls, I feel I should stick with it rather than shift to TAG when I get the money I need for a bankroll. But I'm wondering if my limping/raising range is too wide, even for a LAG, for me to be a winning poker player. I guess I'll give off some tells so you guys can help me out, but here's my range (assuming I have a stack like 80+ BB's in cash or >= average in a tourney) :

Limping IP: 22-44, most suited connectors up to T9s, sometimes middle/high unsuited connectors (ie, 78o), sometimes suited gappers (ie, 97s), QT+, K9+, any suited ace, sometimes an unsuited ace w/ bad kicker (ie, A5o)

Limping OOP: 22-44, most suited connectors up to T9s, any suited ace, KTo-KJo

Raising IP: 55-AA, A9o+, sometimes A6s+, KTs+, KQo, JTs+

Raising OOP: 55-AA, AJo+, A9s+, KQs, KQo

And I complete the SB with a ton of hands, especially if there are a lot of limpers.

Is this ideal or should I leave some of hands out of consideration in certain cases? Again, how would a good LAG select what he wants to play preflop in a normal situation as aforementioned?
Old 11-19-2007, 02:06 AM

Default Re: A typical good LAG\'s preflop range?

Live? Online? 10-handed? 9-handed? 6-max? Heads up?

Blinds and max-buy in?

What are the other players typically like? Are they Saturday night gamblers who play and raise 25% of their hands? Or are they daily grinders who play like 15/7/5 on 15 tables on-line? What are they like?
Old 11-19-2007, 02:09 AM

Simply in general. There are obviously too many types of situations for me to really get a good general idea.

For the sake of discussion, though, let's say a full-ring game, micro stakes, 100BB cap
Old 11-19-2007, 05:12 AM

At the micros I would generally say playing TAG is more profitable, because it makes it a lot easier. If you move up and have a proper br, you can move from tag to lag. Thatīs what I would suggest.
Old 11-19-2007, 05:17 AM

TAG is best at low-stakes simply because it is exploitative by design, engineered to take advantage of people playing non-optimally. As play gets better/TAG-ish, one must play optimally and thus LAGish.

Now that I have said this, I must confess I don't play LAG but playing freerolls is not the place to determine if playing TAG or LAG is correct.
Old 11-19-2007, 05:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
At the micros I would generally say playing TAG is more profitable, because it makes it a lot easier. If you move up and have a proper br, you can move from tag to lag. Thatīs what I would suggest.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-19-2007, 09:09 AM

I say you just call yourself a poker player and make whatever adjustments in playing style are best for the particular game you are playing in. Sometimes you can open any two cards from the CO and cutoff, but other times you need to be much more selective. If the guys playing the blinds are going to consistently call your openers and allowing you to outplay them then you should be opening a lot of hands in LP. If they are bastards and are going to 3-bet you and mess with you post flop then you should play tighter. To just go say "I'm play LAG" and then to and impose a 30/25 style on any table is not smart.

One of the reasons I stopped using a HUD is that it made me too aware of my own session stats.

Lucky
Old 11-19-2007, 10:52 AM

The style you adopt should be the one the best fits into the style of the table. As you get better, you can adapt a style to each particular player at your table to exploit his weaknesses.

For example, in NL freeroll type tournies, I sometimes revert to loose passive if there is not much pf raising. I see a lot of flops cheap and fold to most of them. The implied odds are very high with most hands ending in somebody being all-in. In tournies like these, I refrain from raising pf with a hand like JJ. This is because I will always get multiple callers and when the high card hits, I'm sure I'm beat. However, if no high card hits, I can get all-in against TPTK or draw very often. So it is cheaper just to limp pf.

On the other hand, some freerolls experience the all-in scenario pf where guys are taking two nice cards and trying to double up. Here I change to very tight, very aggressive. And then there are times that there are some pf maniacs and some postflop maniacs. I will decide how to play my cards depending on who is already in the pot and who is just waiting for the action to get to them.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:25 AM

The purposes of playing LAG:

1) To take advantage of fold equity against tight players.
2) To disguise your hands against players capable of reading you well.

At microstakes, neither of these are much of an issue. As you move up in stakes, they become more important, especially the latter.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The purposes of playing LAG:

1) To take advantage of fold equity against tight players.
2) To disguise your hands against players capable of reading you well.

At microstakes, neither of these are much of an issue. As you move up in stakes, they become more important, especially the latter.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. Playing lag puts newbs on tilt. They don't know how to deal wirh the constant aggression. I'ved played 34/30/7 games at 25c/50c with a lot of success and it was insanely fun.