Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2007, 03:48 PM

Default Re: Depression and Religion

Studies show a correlation between reported happiness and religion. That doesn't prove religion makes people happier, but it does suggest some positive effect. One major issue, I think though, is how well your religion matches your personal feelings. I can imagine that if I was a homosexual born into a evangelical Christian community I would be far more unhappy than if I was born into an atheist home. I used to be involved with an atheist girl who became deeply depressed whenever she was reminded that she was going to die some day. I on the other hand am not the least bit bothered by the thought of an end to consciousness. It all depends on the individual.
Old 10-08-2007, 04:17 PM

I cannot see how a sensitive person could not be depressed if an atheist. The thought of meaningless suffering and loved ones dying is too much to make life worth living. It would be better for an atheist to find continual distraction than ponder these things. That's why there are more atheists in rich countries.
Old 10-08-2007, 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I cannot see how a sensitive person could not be depressed if an atheist. The thought of meaningless suffering and loved ones dying is too much to make life worth living. It would be better for an atheist to find continual distraction than ponder these things. That's why there are more atheists in rich countries.

[/ QUOTE ]
i think that this is an accurate assessment of how i feel, especially the bolded section. If i was religious i doubt i'd feel this way about life....
Old 10-08-2007, 04:52 PM

OP,

Could it just be that atheists are a minority in wherever you are, and you don't have many people that you can share your viewpoint on the universe? And you do know a lot of people do pretend to be happy to not distress others?

But yea, I have seen lots of depressed thiests who may have had many runs of bad luck or have seen a number of tragedies and are starting to feel that their God has abandoned them. People of all types get depressed because well, [censored] happens.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:35 PM

atheists aren't a minority where i am. It's a pretty even split i think between theists and atheists.
Old 10-08-2007, 06:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
i think that this is an accurate assessment of how i feel, especially the bolded section. If i was religious i doubt i'd feel this way about life....

[/ QUOTE ]

I was raised Lutheran and didn't fully drop my religious beliefs until my 20s. (and now I'm nearly 40)

I can tell you that its had no effect on my happiness.

There is plenty of meaning and joy to find in living without requiring religion.

Though I suspect religion can make some people happy while a hobby may be all another person needs.
Old 10-08-2007, 06:57 PM

While I'm sure faith helps some people endure depression, I really doubt it makes it go away.

You've seen those studies about how lottery winners are just as happy or unhappy two years later? Or that riches or poverty are not predictors of happiness? There's a very strong genetic component to mood.

Put your faith in medication.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:06 PM

It definitely helps people to live happier lives. The question is at what cost. The religious warlord sleeps wonderfully every night knowing that he is serving God by killing people.

Marx said it best, religion is an opiate. I could easily live on a petty wage and fulfill myself with heroin. I would only be dissatisfied with it when my addiction kills me, and even then I would be in bliss. What stops anyone from doing that? The same thing that stops me from becoming religious to make me feel happier.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I used to be involved with an atheist girl who became deeply depressed whenever she was reminded that she was going to die some day.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have this problem.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:13 PM

"But yea, I have seen lots of depressed thiests who may have had many runs of bad luck or have seen a number of tragedies and are starting to feel that their God has abandoned them. People of all types get depressed because well, [censored] happens."

Everybody can run into despair. But I would think atheists have a head start in that matter. How many tragedies does it take an atheist to suffer before they'll kill themselves versus a religious person for whom suffering has meaning, assuming a foundation of similar pyschological characteristics? The theist will probably become atheist first, and thus take a couple more tragedies before doing themselves in.