Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2007, 06:58 AM

Default HEY PZHON....How was this for protecting my 2 pair ?

I would have never played this hand had it not been for me being in the BB. I was a lil scared after the flop thats why I put out that lil probe bet to see where I was at. If someone reraised me I would have put them on the made flush & I would have folded at that point. However, he just called & when the 9 dropped I thought it would be best to apply pressure & not allow another heart to drop and possibly crush me.

How was this hand played in relation to the given circumstances????

Full Tilt Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.05/$0.10 Blinds - 9 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

SB: $10.80
Hero (BB): $10.10
UTG: $8.55
UTG+1: $3.85
MP1: $5.25
MP2: $10.50
MP3: $20.00
CO: $13.15
BTN: $1.85

Preflop: Hero is dealt J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (9 Players)
4 folds, MP3 calls $0.10, 2 folds, SB calls $0.05, Hero checks

Flop: ($0.30) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (3 Players)
SB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $0.10</font>, MP3 calls $0.10, SB folds

Turn: ($0.50) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets all-in for $9.90</font>, MP3 calls $9.90

River: ($20.30) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players - 1 All-In)

Pot Size: $20.30 ($2 Rake)

MP3 had A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (a pair of Jacks) and LOST (-$10.10)
Hero had J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (two pair, Jacks and Nines) and WON (+$8.20)

CAN YOU BELEIVE A 10% rake??.....Jesus Christ !!!!!!
Old 08-21-2007, 08:08 AM

Default Re: HEY PZHON....How was this for protecting my 2 pair ?

That's horrible play. That's such an unbelivable overbet.

There is a diffrence between protecting your hand and giving money away. You're putting $9.90 in to win a $0.50 pot. The majority of times you get called there you're crushed. You just got lucky that he was a donk.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:35 AM

screen name please?
Old 08-21-2007, 08:37 AM

Yeah, this is really bad, but luckily you were up against a guy who played even worse. You shouldn't bet 20 times the pot under any circumstances. The guy should just fold everything except a flush and then call and crush you when he has that. Given that you're up against two opponents and one of them has called the flop, I would estimate you're up against a made flush roughly one in 15 to one in 20 times. That doesn't sound so bad - you win the pot 20 times and lose 20x the pot once, so breakeven - until you realise that your overbet didn't steal the whole pot, it only stole your opponent's equity in the pot. That is, even if you check the turn and give a gratuitous free card, you'll still mostly win this pot. Plus, you're taking away the opp's chance to bluff on the river. So all round badness.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:48 AM

Good play, keep doing it
Old 08-21-2007, 08:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Pot Size: $20.30 ($2 Rake)

CAN YOU BELEIVE A 10% rake??.....Jesus Christ !!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF? I thought all online rooms were 5% up to $3 max. Is Full Tilt 10% now? What is their max? This is rape.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:58 AM

Just FYI, a standard "bet" is between 25% - 100% of the pot, depending on what you're trying to acheive. The most common is 50%. Betting 20-times the pot is ridiculous.

Have a read of some good books. I think the best one is Harrington on Hold 'em Volume I. This is aimed at being a tournament book, but will improve your cash game out of sight. I have heard it said it's the best book on cash-game play too (even though it's aimed at tournaments).

Helped me loads.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:40 AM

IMO the play in this hand is absolutely terrible - others have already been through this and why it is, so I'll not parrot their good responses.

Obviously you're posting here because you want to get better; and this is good [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I would encourage you to look at the situation in this hand, and any other similar hands, until you can see for yourself how bad the play was. I think that one of the key ways we can improve as players is to be able to look at situations like this afterwards and, regardless of the final result, be able to analyse, criticise, and recognise whether the play was good or bad and, more importantly, WHY.

I guess we have all made plays like this at some time or other though [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-21-2007, 10:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Good play, keep doing it

[/ QUOTE ]
This is the beginner's forum. I know there's no superduper expert's forum to showcase your wit, but in here we try to give straight answers.

To OP:

A massive overbet like this will only ever be called by worse hands 1% of the time. The other 99% of the time we make hands that might be tempted to call a reasonable bet fold, and there's almost NO hands better than ours that will fold. Essentially we give our opponents ZERO chance to make a mistake. Bigtime lose-lose situation. Luckily we hit the 1% lottery on this one.

As a general rule (until you've played enough hands to have very specific reasons not to follow it), never bet over 100% of the pot and NEVER bet less than 50% pot on any action. You won't go too far wrong as a beginner if you make EVERY bet you choose 75% pot size until you have a thorough understanding of when to deviate from this.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:05 AM

Guys, he won the hand, obviously it was the right play