Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: stephenh
villager 3 75.00%
wolf 0 0%
seer 1 25.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-06-2007, 09:55 AM

Default Re: Crazy Phil Laak story with Pics

Romo
Old 08-06-2007, 10:31 AM

@bustedromo: Why don't you pick up the phone and ask?

I'm not defending anybody here but unless you know the seedy side of Thailand it's tough to put certain aspects into perspective. I keep an ear to the expat community in Thailand so I hear all kinds of crazy stuff.

People ripping each other off is just something that comes with the territory. If I had a nickle for every sob story I've heard about some farang being taken by a girl, some farang getting ripped off by his Thai business partner, etc, etc. I would have . . . a hell of a lot of nickles.

Thailand's the kind of place where I can walk down some of the worst parts of Bangkok and not feel even the slightest threat to my safety. But the second someone starts talking to you, you better have both hands on your wallet. It's like Vegas on crack in terms of the number of ways people want to help you part with your money.

And the best (or worst) part is, most people do it willingly like Phil is accused of doing. You don't need to put a gun to your head when a smile and an appeal to one of your base emotions (fear, greed, or lust) will have you forking it over and thanking them for the experience.

That's one of the reasons Tom's story doesn't seem so outlandish to me. If this was any other guy than Phil Laak I would believe it in a heartbeat. Why? Because this isn't even the craziest stuff I've heard. This is medium on the crazy scale.

And, again, not to defend Tom here but I don't think Tom ever claimed to ever have the intention to go through with it.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:34 AM

OK, I gotta say, I find Tom's claims fairly convincing. He's extremely consistent, has been saying this stuff for years, despite the fact that it makes him look awful.

[ QUOTE ]

1. If you're the one who ripped off Laak, why did he put out the contract on your wife ? Especially after she had bailed him out with the Thai police when he ran over the Thai kids on his motorcycle.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm guessing that from Laak's side, he was playing Keyser Sose. From Tom's side, this is precisely why he's so angry about the whole thing.

[ QUOTE ]

2. If you willingly entered into an agreement with Laak to smuggle heroin from Thailand into the United States, why should you expect our sympathy for any unfortunate events which befell your family because of it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, I'm pretty sure that Tom doesn't give a [censored] what we think of him. His goal is to blacken Laak's name. Also, he probably doesn't give a [censored] what the average poker player thinks of Laak. My guess is that Tom's targets are TV producers, advertisers, the average white-bread middle-american bible-belt family who look at the funny, cute guy on TV, see his gambling as slightly risque, but think of him as a fundamentally decent guy.

If he can convince those people that Laak is a scumbag, he can do some very serious damage to Phil's bottom line -- presumably Tom's overall aim.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:55 AM

Reading this thread is about as much fun and as entertaining as that time I got my hand stuck in a car door.
Except after removing my hand from said car door, I didn't feel like I needed to take a shower.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Reading this thread is about as much fun and as entertaining as that time I got my hand stuck in a car door.
Except after removing my hand from said car door, I didn't feel like I needed to take a shower.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah but you probably needed to put ice on your hand.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Evidence brought up in this thread just blew my mind:

http://imdb.com/name/nm0000236/

JENNIFER TILLY IS 49 YEARS OLD - ZOMGWTF?

[/ QUOTE ]

I won 40 bucks on a prop bet on this one at a poker game once. I didn't know her exact age but we set the over/under at 42 and I had the over. Easy peasy money.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
FULL STORY AND WEB SITE UPDATE WILL BE DONE BY WEDNESDAY

[/ QUOTE ]

Tom, Will this include copies of said "sworn affidavits" or are you stringing us all along, which is more what i would suspect?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-06-2007, 11:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It might be smart to just delete this entire thread. Do we really want to piss Laak off?

[/ QUOTE ]

who cares if we piss him off, he's annoyed us with that stupid unabomber push-up bullsh*t routine for years.....
Old 08-06-2007, 11:31 AM

The Routine is the best. It inspired me to perform a similar routine in critical situations.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that why you weren't able to use your mouse to open up another thread instead?

Edit: I now have it on good authority that it was Laak who slammed that car door.

He must be stopped at any cost!