Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2007, 02:39 PM

Default Re: Soccer Player Ethnicities

Crespo is definately white. I'm pretty sure his family is of Italian origin.

Nearly 70% of Argentina is of Italian origin. I think there may be a deal between the two governments that makes for obtaining Italian citizenship quite easy for Argentines. I believe you just need to prove some sort of family lineage. I have several friends that are dual Argentine/Italian citizens and they have never even left South America.
Old 07-11-2007, 02:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I remember there being a big deal when Veron got italian citizenship because his ancestary was a bit weak( i think it was a great grandparent, and even that was in question)

[/ QUOTE ]

That seems a little strange from some of the stories my friends tell me but then again, those are just in passing conversation with people who may not know the laws very well and also the Veron situation was awhile ago.
Old 07-11-2007, 02:59 PM

So ethnicity = skin color? Welcome to the 19th century.

KJS
Old 07-11-2007, 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So ethnicity = skin color? Welcome to the 19th century.

KJS

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps I should have titled the thread "Soccer Player Skin Color." The purpose of this thread wasn't to write an in-depth report on the complexities in dealing with multi-ethnic backgrounds but rather to settle some disagreements between friends.

The terms white, black and brown are arbitrary, somewhat inane and oversimplified but my roommates and I were having such a discussion and sought this wise forum for guidance.

Many of the responses were intelligent and well-constructed, balancing more complex ideas such as immigration patterns with basic common-man definitions of race.

The very notions of black, brown and white are social constructs. I was curious to see what different people thought and which criteria they used to reach their conclusions.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I remember there being a big deal when Veron got italian citizenship because his ancestary was a bit weak( i think it was a great grandparent, and even that was in question)

[/ QUOTE ]

That seems a little strange from some of the stories my friends tell me but then again, those are just in passing conversation with people who may not know the laws very well and also the Veron situation was awhile ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

my memory is a bit hazy on it as I remember the whole situation happening when Veron was playing for Parma, and I have done as much as possible to kill my brain cells in the intervening years. I just remember a bit of a fuss coming up about it as his lineage was a bit on the weak side