Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2007, 08:54 AM

Default TPBK vs habitual bluff raiser, rivers top and middle pair

I played a weird hand today against a guy who consistently got waaaay out of line on turned draws. I hit top pair and a straight draw on a drawwy board, and things got a bit nuts.

Villain was by no means an idiot. He has standard issue 23/17 TAG stats, and generally showed down strong hands. His semibluffing reeked of FPS, though.

Sample hand #1
This hand was my introduction to Villain. His turn raise made me want to go punch kittens.

PokerStars 10/20 Hold'em (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is MP with 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (4.70 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, BB calls.

Turn: (3.85 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, Button calls.

River: (6.85 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 8.85 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has 6h 7h (two pair, sevens and sixes).
Button has 9d Qd (flush, king high).
Outcome: Button wins 8.85 BB. </font>

After numerous such hands, I froze him up with a flop check/raise/cap with bottom pair. I tried to get him to bluff at it again but he didn't go for it:

Sample hand #2 can't find the hand history?
I open raised with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], he 3-bet, I called.
The flop came something like K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
I check/raise/capped him.
I checked to him again on both the turn and the river to induce him to bluff at it, but he didn't bite. He showed A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] for no pair and a backdoor flush draw on the flop.

On to the actual hand:

I briefly considered mucking the turn since he did check/raise the field but decided that I should get to showdown unless SB repopped it. Then the overaggro BB checked the river? WTF? I had no clue where I stood on 5th street.

PokerStars 10/20 Hold'em (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (3 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Turn: (3 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls, SB folds.

River: (5.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets...
Old 07-01-2007, 03:27 PM

Default Re: TPBK vs habitual bluff raiser, rivers top and middle pair

I think he missed his draw tbh. He could be making this play w/AsK, AsQ, KsQ. If he made his hand, he has to fire the river on this board knowing that you'll check behind a large majority of the time.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:15 AM

In the heat of battle, I would probably talk myself into betting because he is kinda spazzy, then hate a c/r and talk myself into calling because he is spazzy. After reading the hand I want to say check tho.

btw, I think his turn semi bluff is good in hand 1 to clean up pair outs and maybe force out a better/dominating hand from BB. obv the way he got to the turn is retarded tho.
Old 07-02-2007, 06:54 AM

Having a really hard time putting him on a hand. If he had a FD on the flop, you would think this kinda guy would be raising SB's lead out to shut you out of the hand and perhaps take a free card on the turn... so it doesn't look like he has a made flush on the turn.

If he had a set of 77's or 33's, he may have slow played the flop by not putting in any raises... but then I doubt he would check to you on the turn, because giving a free card to a FD or SD would be pretty bad - and there's no guarantee you're betting the turn just because you raised the flop.

Only hand that makes any sense is 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9, as this is the only hand that just calls the SB's donk on the flop (actually, on re-reading this, maybe he raises this also?)... he has OESD, middle pair and FD (so giving/getting a free card is not such a bad thing) on the turn and decided to get fancy with it - as is fitting with your read of him. Any 1-2pr hand would have raised the flop to protect his hand, given he is TAG.

Not sure why he is checking the river if he did have 89... scared of a J, perhaps. Regardless, I think we can value bet... if we do get CR'd, I think it's a call against this kinda guy, and since I just can't put him on a better hand. Pot is big, call CR and see what hand he plays so strangely, take note.

meh, I am lost... weird hand... he prolly has a made flush and bad case of FPS. Bet and call a raise [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-02-2007, 07:36 PM

I just check here on the river against this opponent b/c you're forced to call a c/r and a c/r is usually the nuts. This reaks of a spade flush FPS and I feel like your walking into a c/r.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:55 AM

Yeah he played this hand really strangely. He had 86 and turned the straight, but just flat called on the river. His river play is play just weird/bad. It's a fairly straightforward value bet given the flop and turn action since I'll call him with a wide range of hands, but will not bet this river with just one pair.

Ah well. Next hand.
Old 07-03-2007, 03:40 AM

Hand 2 I don't understand why you cap the flop if you want to induce him to bluff the turn or the river.

Hand 3 the only hand I can put him on that makes sense is a draw with an 8. Something like As8d or so. That would make him check the river. So I would bet the river and regretfully call a raise.
Old 07-03-2007, 06:39 AM

In the first hand I might check to induce a dumb bluff(on the river). I havent checked ranges.