Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2007, 12:42 PM

Default Do Americans Overestimate How Great Other Athletes Would be at Soccer?

Over the summer Bill Simmons wrote a paragraph about NBA stars playing soccer.

"By the way, I've been watching the World Cup for four weeks trying to decide which NBA players could have been dominant soccer players, eventually coming to three conclusions. First, Allen Iverson would have been the greatest soccer player ever-- better than Pele, better than Ronaldo, better than everyone. I think this is indisputable, actually. Second, it's a shame that someone like Chris Andersen couldn't have been pushed toward soccer, because he would have been absolutely unstoppable soaring above the middle of the pack on corner kicks. And third, can you imagine anyone being a better goalie than Shawn Marion? It would be like having a 6-foot-9 human octopus in the net. How could anyone score on him? He'd have every inch of the goal covered. Just as a sports experiment, couldn't we have someone teach Marion the rudimentary aspects of playing goal, then throw him in a couple of MLS games? Like you would turn the channel if this happened?"

I think that many of the things he says are quite absurd. To say that Iverson could have been a great player is one thing. But to say he would indisputably be the greatest in the world is pretty arrogant considering how popular the sport is throughout the world.

Also, the part about Marion is pretty laughable. He makes it seem as though Kasey Keller could give Marion a 15 minute lesson and Shawn could actually be a good keeper. Furthermore, I think Marion is too tall. At 6'9 he would have a tough time diving for low shots.

The height problem is even worse for field players. There are very few world-class players who are quite tall. Two that come to mind are Jan Koller (6'8) and Peter Crouch (6'7). For comparison, the average height in the NBA is around 6'7. It's not as though the United States is the only country in the world that produces really tall people, yet you see hardly any players above 6'6 starring in Europe.

My question isn't just in regards to what Bill Simmons wrote. There seems to be a common belief in the United States that most great athletes in football, basketball and baseball could have been world-class stars in soccer as well. While some would (Iverson is a good example) I think that the physical size of many NFL and NBA players would hurt their cross-over ability.

Do you guys agree that the degree to which American athletes would dominate soccer if they had taken it up when they were younger is overstated?
Old 02-28-2007, 12:45 PM

Default Re: Do Americans Overestimate How Great Other Athletes Would be at Soc

Only stupid ones.

Soccer players are not top level athletes like NBA guards and NFL WR/DB types, but much more finesse and are highly skilled.

In terms of goalies, I do agree that guys like Shawn Marion or LeBron James, had they played soccer from a young age, would be awesome. Not sure about world class though.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:46 PM

I don't agree with much of this, but I do think that Marion could be an awesome goalie.
edit: not with just a short lesson, as Simmons implies, but if had been training for a great while to do it.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:56 PM

Obviously the "indisputable" statement about Iverson is retarded. However, I think it's pretty obvious that the best American athletes are not playing soccer and the U.S. would field much better soccer teams than it does if they did. Obviously Saquille O'Neal would not be a good soccer player, but a lot of other basketball, football and baseball players probably would.

It's also possible that a lot of smaller, speedier guys that would be good at soccer just never get the chance in the U.S. They start playing football or basketball when they're young and then when they finish college they go find a job because they just weren't big enough to play pro sports in the U.S.

It seems like most kids play soccer when they're very young in the U.S. but then switch to other sports as they get older. I've never been really sure why that is.
Old 02-28-2007, 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Obviously the "indisputable" statement about Iverson is retarded. However, I think it's pretty obvious that the best American athletes are not playing soccer and the U.S. would field much better soccer teams than it does if they did. Obviously Saquille O'Neal would not be a good soccer player, but a lot of other basketball, football and baseball players probably would.

It's also possible that a lot of smaller, speedier guys that would be good at soccer just never get the chance in the U.S. They start playing football or basketball when they're young and then when they finish college they go find a job because they just weren't big enough to play pro sports in the U.S.

It seems like most kids play soccer when they're very young in the U.S. but then switch to other sports as they get older. I've never been really sure why that is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because soccer is boring, cheap, and not complicated to play at all. It's basically an excuse to wear the kids out when they're very young and give them some athletic training - but there's not much real emphasis on becoming good at soccer.

Basketball, baseball, and football, OTOH, are very difficult to play when younger, often requiring different equipment and rules.
Old 02-28-2007, 01:22 PM

Also because there's no money in it, and kids want to play the sports that they watch. It's more exciting to play basketball if you watch it often and have favorite players, than it is to play soccer that you don't or can't watch.
Old 02-28-2007, 01:25 PM

Steve Nash would be the greatest soccer player ever.
Old 02-28-2007, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Vince Young would be the greatest soccer player ever.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 02-28-2007, 01:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also because there's no money in it, and kids want to play the sports that they watch. It's more exciting to play basketball if you watch it often and have favorite players, than it is to play soccer that you don't or can't watch.

[/ QUOTE ]

That makes sense. I wonder why ESPN, with all its channels, doesn't show more. It's clear they struggle to fill all the time, and it's got to be easier to find soccer programming than some of the other goofy stuff they find to televise.
Old 02-28-2007, 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Steve Nash would be the greatest soccer player ever.

[/ QUOTE ]
If only he hadn't been born in the USA, what a shame.