Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2006, 07:34 AM

Default Re: Explain Baseball to Me

[ QUOTE ]
But lineup selection and statistics don't have anything to do with actually watching the game

[/ QUOTE ] Line up selection might not directly; but it is something to think about and debate with friends you are watching with. Every single decision in baseball has to do with stats; it really is all encompassing. Bunting in a certain situation, a walk, a decision to try and take an extra base, a steal, a pinch hitter, a pitching change or lack there of, etc.
[ QUOTE ]
It's also impossible to know the tendency of all the batters and pitchers and really appreciate it when so and so throws a changeup even though he usually throws a fastball on a 2-2 count after previously throwing a curveball to a power hitter etc. etc.

[/ QUOTE ] You don't understand what it is like to be a fanatic if you think this, which is probably a good thing for you.
Old 05-25-2006, 07:52 AM

How many of these "fanatics" could there possibly be? Obviously not the majority of the fanbase of the MLB.

And do you really know the hitting and pitching tendencies of any random MLBer? What pitch does C.C. Sabathia like to throw on a 2-2 count against a contact hitter?
Old 05-25-2006, 07:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Line up selection might not directly; but it is something to think about and debate with friends you are watching with. Every single decision in baseball has to do with stats; it really is all encompassing. Bunting in a certain situation, a walk, a decision to try and take an extra base, a steal, a pinch hitter, a pitching change or lack there of, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, how do you derive joy in actually watching the game though? I appreciate the fact that it is insanely complex and thought out with regard to various statistics. This doesn't make it a good spectator sport however.
Old 05-25-2006, 12:13 PM

There is more drama in baseball than any other major sport.

Basketball is fun to play, but I don't watch too much of it. The players seem to spar for the first three quarters, then turn it up at the end. Basketball games should be 10 minutes. Plus, the last two minutes of a basketball game take about 15 minutes to play.. UGG. With the timeouts...and fouls...

Football is fun to play but again, not all that great to watch. Penalties are what I hate about football. Whistles going off left and right...long pauses between plays. Final 2 minutes of game takes 15 minutes to play.. sound familiar?

Soccer...um, yeah.

Hockey I enjoy watching. There is always action. You will see people get nailed, you will see nice passes, and shots fairly regularly. Oh, and fistfights. I think playoff hockey could be the pinnacle of sports entertainment.

Baseball has so much drama. Example...2005 NLCS Astros v. Cardinals. Cardinals are rolling along winning, when Berkman comes up and smacks a pitch off Carpenter...the whole stadium stands up while the ball flies through the air. Home run. Place goes NUTS. Loudest stadium I've ever heard. Later on Lidge comes in to close it out. Some guys get on base and he faces Pujols. With I believe 2 outs the place is even louder than earlier. Next pitch Pujols jacks. There is a few seconds of suspense, as 45,000 people watch the ball travel through the air. It's a home run. The building is SILENT. Astros lose.

Baseball has drama because you can see plays developing that you sometimes cannot in basketball, football, or hockey. Another example is Juan Uribe catching a foul ball in the stands. Everyone can see that play developing, as the ball is suspended in the air. Or if your team needs a double play ball and there is a grounder up the middle, the play is developing. There is suspense in that.

An interesting note about baseball is that the defense controls the ball and controls the pace of the game. Also, I think it could be the only sport where one player is elevated from the rest (the pitcher).
Old 05-25-2006, 01:07 PM

This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains.

Think about that for a while.
Old 05-25-2006, 05:46 PM

This is not a simple question with a simple answer, it takes a deeper understanding to get to the truth.

I suggest you rent and watch the Ken Burns Baseball series.
If you still don't get it, then I would give up on your search.

Dave
Old 05-25-2006, 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains.

Think about that for a while.

[/ QUOTE ]

this should tell everything to anybody.
Old 05-25-2006, 07:48 PM

Bring on the tears
Old 05-25-2006, 07:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Baseball has so much drama. Example...2005 NLCS Astros v. Cardinals. Cardinals are rolling along winning, when Berkman comes up and smacks a pitch off Carpenter...the whole stadium stands up while the ball flies through the air. Home run. Place goes NUTS. Loudest stadium I've ever heard. Later on Lidge comes in to close it out. Some guys get on base and he faces Pujols. With I believe 2 outs the place is even louder than earlier. Next pitch Pujols jacks. There is a few seconds of suspense, as 45,000 people watch the ball travel through the air. It's a home run. The building is SILENT. Astros lose.
(the pitcher).

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Eckstein singled, Edmonds walks, Pujols jacks it.
Old 05-25-2006, 11:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bring on the tears

[/ QUOTE ]

You bastard!