Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2007, 02:08 AM

Default Re: (kind of LC) how to improve mental fortitude?

I know you're probably not going to act on this but, something that's really helped me with these kinds of things is yoga and meditation. It helps me move through my anger quickly and to keep playing good.

Also while playing I strongly advice you to NOT think the slightest bit about how much you're up or down. I mean think about it, is it really relevant to know these things? Assuming you're overbankrolled for your stakes obviously, what matters is how well you are playing, not how unbelievable these last few suckouts were.

And another thing, I've noticed it's very hard to play well after playing more than, say, 2 or 3 hours in one sitting. But I don't know if that is a problem for you? I know some people can do this, and some/most people can't. Just get to know yourself and your limits(meditation really helps here)
Old 09-05-2007, 02:09 AM

Take a bunch of pens/pencils and throw them real hard at your wall. Then go play full ring.
Old 09-05-2007, 02:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I know you're probably not going to act on this but, something that's really helped me with these kinds of things is yoga and meditation.

[/ QUOTE ]

ive thought about this before, how did you get into it? did you take lessons?
Old 09-05-2007, 02:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Take a bunch of pens/pencils and throw them real hard at your wall. Then go play full ring.

[/ QUOTE ]

haha this combined with your location made me laugh idk why.
Old 09-05-2007, 02:13 AM

There really is a very thin line between optimal play and what would be overaggressive tilt play. Not saying it is the case, but there can certainly be scenarios where it may seem really bad if you just posted it here blankly, but if you knew the game dynamic it may sway it it to the correct play.

Also, minimizing ego can help a lot with tilt issues. There have been some times when I am playing some horrendous player HU and I begin to lose rapidly to and I begin to tilt because I KNOW I'm supposed to beat this guy. This leads of course to bad play. It is still a problem of mine, but it is something that I realize so I can sit back, think a little now about how dumb it is to get angry over that and it becomes resolved.
Old 09-05-2007, 02:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I know you're probably not going to act on this but, something that's really helped me with these kinds of things is yoga and meditation.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My parents are yogis....actually yoga teachers, and the difference it has made in their daily lives/attitudes/stress since they started is pretty astounding. I'd definitely recommend it if you feel like you could get into it.
Old 09-05-2007, 02:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

More or less. My brother got me into it at an early age(around 12, I'm now almost 22), and he basically taught me everything I know. He taught himself from a Yoga, Tantra and Meditation book way back, and has since then been on a lot of yoga summer camps and [censored] like that. I haven't done it with anyone but myself or my brother however.

I'd suggest either taking a class(could be hard to motivate yourself to actually do it though, and I don't know how easy it is to find one close to you), or buying a book on the subject and do it a little bit whenever you feel like it(which is what I'm doing).

First book I could find real fast right now is this one. It's the same author as the one I'm using so I'd recommend it. It might even be the same book just newer(my book is like 20 years old)
Old 09-05-2007, 02:33 AM

ty morrek.
Old 09-05-2007, 02:39 AM

i think most people assume they should eliminate emotion at the poker tables, but i think that's the wrong way about it. emotion is part of us, it's part of who we are as organisms and it's wrong to fight it and try to eliminate it. everyone i know that is emotionless at the tables sinks into a rut and plays their C game all the time. they never tilt and play their F game, but they never have an A game either, and they never improve and get better.

it depends on what you're after with the game. if you want to grind all day, then fine, be emotionless. if you want to improve and really be exceptional at the game, i think you need to acknowledge it and accept it and harness it to drive you to do better. if you're emotionless you simply lose your ambition and competitive edge.

i'm not saying it's ok to tilt, i'm saying that you must have an extreme desire to crush your opponent, and you must be overconfident in yourself, and it must bother you to no end when your opponent outplays you. and at the same time you have to be level-headed enough to focus and find the best play. it's an extraordinarily delicate thing to balance, but it's the only way to be a top player in my opinion.
Old 09-05-2007, 02:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ty morrek.

[/ QUOTE ]

glad to help