Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2007, 07:09 AM

Default Giving University another shot...anyone been there?

So I'm thinking of doing University again, going to try to get into the Medical Field.

A quick run down - I studied in Malaysia under the IGCSE system (British System) and attained 7A's, two of which were A*. Went to Canada and did a 7 month crash course on its OAC classes. Then it really falls apart from there.

Got into Queen's University, barely, under special conditions (pass First Year or leave University instantly, no exceptions). The reason for this was because I was accepted into Queen's before doing the finals for my final semester's OAC classes. Naturally, I decided to slack off since I'm already in, right? My average plummeted and Queen's decided to slap in the special condition to keep me in line.

Went into Queen's the following year, my room mate who was also in the same College as I was before (the only 2 people to make it into Queen's), decides to ditch me and go to McGill instead. I fall into depression, lost and don't know what the hell to do, I don't make friends easy, I considered the best time of my life was in Highschool. I took courses that was given to me on a Timetable, I had no idea we could select courses, what are electives vs. compulsary etc, basically just wasting my time and have no idea what direction I want to go academically. I was doing a degree that I don't even know if I really wanted (Civil Engineering). Got past my first year, again barely. Second year was worse. Finally was asked to leave the Faculty.

Somehow, I managed to get transferred into another Faculty before I got kicked, so I stayed in Queen's. I had no idea what the [censored] I was doing in the Department of Geography, but still I just dragged on, still no direction on what I want to do, still wasting money and time.

After a year, I finally left, or was asked to leave, again, after my grades was not up to par.

*During my 3rd year, for the first semester, I scored an 80% average, a huge boost from my 50+% average during my first 2 years (not counting failed courses...haha...), the reason for the boost was because I was told if I could get an high average, I could be transferred to the Biology Dept, which interests me. But on the 2nd semester, depression and doing stupid things kicked in again = bye bye.

Thus, after a few years of wandering and searching, I want to give University another shot. I just have my IGCSE High School grades and Canada's OAC (Grade 12 Equivalent) grades, my university's grade's too [censored] to be shown. I had 1 'proper' job since I left school.

Thus I'm wondering if anyone has any experience on this kind of stuff? Any advice on I should approach this, should I go straight to a university and see what my options are? Or perhaps try a College first and build from there? Or the skidmark in University really messed up my life/future?
Old 02-22-2007, 02:35 PM

Default Re: Giving University another shot...anyone been there?

You can apply to a lot of Universities as a mature student (grades don't matter). You won't get into Harvard or anything, but you can get into a lot of places. But first you have to find out what program you want. More specifically