Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2006, 10:54 AM

Default Hold \'Em or Fold \'Em (part 1)

I may have been wiser to check and call instead of getting myself into these positions.

Hand 1
Preflop: Hero is MP with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button folds, BB folds, UTG calls.

Turn: (5.25 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls.

River: (7.25 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, Hero ?

Hand 2
Preflop: Hero is MP with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>.

Flop: (5.50 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls.

Turn: (3.75 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls.

River: (5.75 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Hero ?

Hand 3
Preflop: Hero is SB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, CO calls.

Flop: (8 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG folds, CO folds.

Turn: (5 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

River: (7 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero ?
Old 12-10-2006, 11:41 AM

Default Re: Hold \'Em or Fold \'Em (part 1)

1. I prolly call and lose
2. folds
3. calls
Old 12-10-2006, 12:16 PM

1. Call.
2. Fold.
3. Call.
Old 12-10-2006, 12:37 PM

Hands 1 and 2 I would fold against most opponents. Also, in your QQ's hand, if you cant trust your opponent enough to fold on the river, then you probably shouldve check/called the turn.

About hand 3. To me this hand is much closer to a call than the other hands and with no read I would pay off. The question is however, is check/calling better than bet/calling with your 99s? I think in many cases check/calling will be better becuz most online players will realize you probably have Ace high and they will tend to correctly bet any pair, and sometimes they will have no hand at all and you will will pick up an extra bet by inducing a bluff.

This situation happens alot online where your opponent will bet any lesser hand youre trying to attack by value betting. When this is the case, you should never bet since now you will get to make the same amount of money as if you made a value bet without ever facing an uncomfortable raise. You also make additional money when you snap his bluffs.

Depending on the nature of your opponent you mayve been in the situation I described above. When OOP on the river with a decent holding, always think about the type of lesser hands youre attacking by value betting. If youre opponent will bet with these lesser hands if you check then a value bet will cost you money.
Old 12-10-2006, 01:36 PM

I think these are all folds. Maybe call 3.

As you opined, I think these would have all been better with check/call.
Old 12-10-2006, 02:39 PM

Nice post ILOVE. I think that when 3tabling 6-max I tend to get into bet bet bet mode and sometimes miss opportunities to c/c and make money. I probably should just play 2 tables but you know I get greedy. It's definitely a c/c for all the reasons you mention. One question to ask is "what hand is he calling with that I beat?" If there isn't an obvious one, c/c to induce a bluff or a bet from a smaller pair.
Old 12-10-2006, 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nice post ILOVE. I think that when 3tabling 6-max I tend to get into bet bet bet mode and sometimes miss opportunities to c/c and make money. I probably should just play 2 tables but you know I get greedy. It's definitely a c/c for all the reasons you mention. One question to ask is "what hand is he calling with that I beat?" If there isn't an obvious one, c/c to induce a bluff or a bet from a smaller pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow I can't possibly disagree more. So he's part of the 2% pool of players who wait till the river with trips...good for him. He has Ace high a ton which he's going to call with but not bet. Moreover if people were that good at valuebetting it'd be correct to sexy a helluva lot more.
Old 12-10-2006, 03:39 PM

Checking hand 1 behind sucks, too many PPs are paying you off here. I'd normally say call, but I think folding is fine too.

I don't mind check/calling from the turn down in hand 2. As played, fold.

I like ILP's reasoning for hand 3.
Old 12-10-2006, 03:48 PM

Hand 1 you can b/f or c/c, I wouldn't b/c because there are just too many hands that are ahead or just drew out on you.

Hand 2 I like the b/f line

Hand 3 I would call.
Old 12-10-2006, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow I can't possibly disagree more. So he's part of the 2% pool of players who wait till the river with trips...good for him. He has Ace high a ton which he's going to call with but not bet. Moreover if people were that good at valuebetting it'd be correct to sexy a helluva lot more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, i agree completely McGahee. C/cing this river is really bad against almost all ss competition. If I'm checking this river, i'm c/ring. But i think this river is b/c or possibly b/f against the most passive competition, and checking is horrible. But I didn't want to disagree with the best poster in SS.