Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2007, 08:30 PM

Default 100 NL: Playing suited near-connectors OOP

I was not a huge fan of this hand. Help on all streets please.

I just sat down at the table with Villain, but he already seems to be aggressively playing almost every hand.

6-handed; Everyone is sitting with ~one stack ($100)
Hero is BB, Villain is CO

Preflop: Hero is dealt [6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ]
2 fold, CO raises to $3, Button calls, SB folds, Hero calls

<font color="blue">I figured I could catch this guy bluffing if I hit big, and it was only a 3x raise with another caller, so I went for it. Let me know if this is spew.</font>

Flop ($9.50): [5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ]

Hero checks, Villain bets $7, Button folds, Hero raises to $21, Villain calls.

<font color="blue">I went for a checkraise here with my nice open-ended draw, because I figured there was little chance that flop hit the villain and I expected him to c-bet 100% anyway. What I did not expect was for the villain to call, but I had outs.</font>

Turn ($51.50): [9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]]

<font color="blue">I just made my straight. Ship it!</font>

Hero bets $35, Villain pushes for ~$80, Hero [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

<font color="blue">I'm crushing anything except 2 diamonds, and a villain this LAGgy could have air, one diamond, or an overpair/set here a lot of the time, so it's a clear call, right? Still, I can't help but feel like I went wrong somewhere(s) in this hand.</font>
Old 10-04-2007, 08:40 PM

Default Re: 100 NL: Playing suited near-connectors OOP

Well, obviously you have to call the turn. I think the hand in general is played fine.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:41 PM

with those odds I think this is a snap-call, variance.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:45 PM

yea get it in here, sucks to be OOP, i generally like to be in position playing these type of hands, against a good player I think you are representing a set maybe but against this guy i guess you have to get it in
Old 10-04-2007, 10:53 PM

pretty standard to me
Old 10-05-2007, 07:45 AM

I appreciate the analysis. Villain had 2 diamonds of course, but I don't think anyone in my position could put him specifically on J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ... yeah, looks like my read was right. Villain stayed at the table for a while, but ended up leaving with 4 stacks and I only managed to almost break even after taking several beats.
Old 10-08-2007, 06:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I appreciate the analysis. Villain had 2 diamonds of course, but I don't think anyone in my position could put him specifically on J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ... yeah, looks like my read was right. Villain stayed at the table for a while, but ended up leaving with 4 stacks and I only managed to almost break even after taking several beats.

[/ QUOTE ]

well if villain was playing aggresively and NOT over playing when he is beat, I would definitely go for a second check raise on the turn. Y
against agro thinking villain who smack around button and co much will almost bet here when u dont double barrel. If you bet he isnt calling if he has nothing.

VERY LITTLE implied odds against smart agro players.