Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2007, 11:26 PM

Default Bubble openpush from button with 79s: correct, or no?

World Poker Exchange VIP Event, $5k added. $10 buy-in. 19 players to go out of 132, top 18 pays (something like 7 buy-ins for 18th; top 3 places are stratospheric for this buy-in), and I'm currently situated in about 17th.

Seat 2 is the button. Small Blind $400, Big Blind $800
Note: seat IDs range from 1 to 10
Seat 1 (playing) : , amount $10720, amount bet $0, penalty (None)
Seat 2 (playing) : Hero, amount $5544, amount bet $0, penalty (None)
Seat 3 (playing) : Small Blind, amount $7084, amount bet $0, penalty (None)
Seat 4 (playing) : Big Blind, amount $11758, amount bet $0, penalty (None)
Seat 6 (playing) : , amount $27876, amount bet $0, penalty (None)
Seat 7 (playing) : , amount $6430, amount bet $0, penalty (None)
Seat 8 (playing) : , amount $6231, amount bet $0, penalty (None)
Seat 9 (playing) : , amount $8536, amount bet $0, penalty (None)
Seat 10 (playing) : , amount $5740, amount bet $0, penalty (None)
: Small Blind ($400)
: Big Blind ($800)
** Dealing Down Cards **
Dealt to Hero: [7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]]

6 fold,
Hero: Raise ($5494)

I'm trying to get better at tourneys. I lost the hand, but I don't want to be thinking results oriented, so details are unimportant. I didn't have many reads on the blinds, except that they were tending to call pushes somewhat light (sb had called my openpush in a blind battle earlier with K6o when I had him covered; I'd had 37s). I could likely have moved into the money within the next couple rounds if I had not done this. Should I be making this push or no?
Old 09-21-2007, 12:38 AM

Default Re: Bubble openpush from button with 79s: correct, or no?

If the blinds appear to be calling light, then you don't want to be raising light. When you're in doubt about taking chances like this, you have to take a look at what your goals are. If you simply want to get into the money and see what happens from there, then pushing here can be risky. If you're looking to win without a care about cashing, then you need to take chances like these at some point in order to build your stack up to a "playable" level.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:36 AM

Them calling light makes this all-in bad.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:40 AM

with blinds calling somehow loose this is borderline imo.

your M is over 4, so according to the charts you should push with 97s on the button against loose opponents with M=3.4
Old 09-21-2007, 01:45 AM

i dont like this all in cause its only cause of postion i would like to have more strength in my hand it looks more like a steal then a strong play and u wer'nt that short on chips to have to make that move yet
Old 09-21-2007, 03:09 AM

This is a std shove imo...
Old 09-21-2007, 10:36 AM

I'd like to hear some more thoughts on this. My friend, who knows more about poker than I do, said that I definitely should be making this shove, and the big blind calling me with AQo when it was for most of his stack was bad. I just don't know. I'm sure I will get into this situation many more times. It seems like people on this site are calling shoves when they really shouldn't (people were saying to the K6o guy earlier, "good call", but I know that's not the case having read Bill Chen), so does that mean I should continue standard play and reap mutually assured destruction on our heads, or tighten up and never blind steal with junk because it won't work? With this few chips, it seems like I can't afford to wait for a much better spot, and yet there is value in sliding into the money... I'm confused. I need to hear more on this.

[ QUOTE ]
your M is over 4, so according to the charts you should push with 97s on the button against loose opponents with M=3.4

[/ QUOTE ]

Link to charts please. Could be that I haven't read the stickies thoroughly enough.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:47 AM

warteen...first of all youre friend is off here...AQ is perfectly fine to all a short bubble push...you'll see people calling correctly with lighter...that being said I wait here...your read that they call light means everting and your hand has no showdown value and looks like what it is...a position play to get blinds and antes...
Old 09-21-2007, 11:05 AM

The bubble is a fun time to try and steal, but you have to pick your targets perhaps a bit more judiciously than you did here. Targeting someone who has you covered by double your current stack, AND who has shown a tendency to call light, probably isn't the best idea. In a vacuum, this is a very standard shove. But here, with your read on this guy, I don't think I'd do it. Find someone else at the table with a somewhat smaller stack (and thus, that would be more injured by taking a loss), and if possible make it someone who you believe is playing a tighter game than this current BB.

Stealing is all about fold equity, and it sounds like you're reading this situation as not having a ton of it. So you're basically wondering whether pushing all-in here with 9 high and a decent chance of getting called is a good move. It's not terrible if you're brand of poker is to take chances to try and get a big stack and win the tourney. But if you're just trying to do the normal slow build, accumulate chips safely, and make some money... well then maybe you should've folded this one.

--TFGoose

P.S. Oh, and whoever told you that the BB's call with AQ wasn't good is just plain wrong. AQ is WAAAAY ahead of your pushing range in that spot (obviously). I play mostly TAG, and I would've snap-called you. Just FYI
Old 09-21-2007, 11:39 AM

I open push 97s on the button with 8xBB with or without the bubble, even though there is apparently no ante.

So many really bad replies.