Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2007, 11:36 AM

Default nyc foodies

hey all,

i kind of post in the food threads but usually lurk around these parts. i notice most of you have pretty good tastes in restaurants and i'm looking for advice on some restaurants that are pretty good for first date. not over the top, great food, decent wine list, and not nobu/per se expensive. i have some of my own places but i'd like to hear if there's any gems i don't know about.

fwiw, i eat often in nyc and been to most of the big brand name restaurants: masa, nobu, daniel, il mulino, etc. and i usually eat out in soho: blue ribbon, salt, raouls.

what i'm looking for is a good place to sit down and conversate over good food. location not that big of a deal.

cuisine type doens't matter: asian, italian, indian, whatever. hope you have some good recs. thanks.

EH
Old 04-19-2007, 01:12 PM

Default Re: nyc foodies

Yama on 17th St (I think) is a good default sushi place.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:34 PM

thanks evan. for value sushi w/friends, yamas is a hands down winner. btw, i like the carmine street location.

if i'm taking a girl out for sushi, it's going to be blue ribbon sushi or better. i would have no problem taking her here except for the whole burnt down thing. . .
bond st on fire.

if you want to blow through cash or have a generous broker, check out kuruma zushi.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
thanks evan. for value sushi w/friends, yamas is a hands down winner. btw, i like the carmine street location.

if i'm taking a girl out for sushi, it's going to be blue ribbon sushi or better. i would have no problem taking her here except for the whole burnt down thing. . .
bond st on fire.

if you want to blow through cash or have a generous broker, check out kuruma zushi.

[/ QUOTE ]
I lived by the Union Sq one for a couple years so I went there. I've never been to the Carmine St. one. Maybe I misread your OP, I thought you were asking for not top of the line places.

Fwiw, I think if Yama isn't nice/expensive/whatever enough for a first date you're trying too hard.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:24 PM

Try Da Ciro on 34th and Lexington. Everything is cooked in a brick oven, and their wine is very hard to find any where else. ( i want to say they are they only ones in NYC to have the wine that they serve)

the scenery is romantic, but not over the top. I actually will be up in nyc so i will be going there for dinner on Sunday.

PM if you try it since i am more of a BBV than an OOT
Old 04-19-2007, 06:28 PM

Yama on 17th is better than Yama on Carmine, IMHO.

For cheap Italian bistro food (breads/cheeses/cured meats) and wine, check out 'inoteca. For midpriced Italian pasta and seafood, check out Giorgione. Va Tutto and Barolo are both good for romantic outdoor seating.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:57 PM

Jules Bistro on st. marks between 1st and 2nd ave is a nice little restaurant to bring a date. the ambience is great, and they have live jazz starting around 8 during the week and 9 or 10 on friday and saturday. very cozy, good service, reasonable wine list, and good food. I highly suggest it.

they have probably 25-30 tables, a nice low light atmosphere, and the live music is very nice.

menu
Old 04-19-2007, 09:58 PM

Only place I've been to was a placed called Il Fornio in Little Italy (is that what it's called)? I'm not familiar with the exact names, but it's something like that. Very good food, fast, and affordable.