Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2007, 10:42 PM

Default Re: Ram Vaswani speaks about that \'Golf Game\'.

At first I supported Ram basically because I felt bad for him losing 2 million.

Here's the thing though if Ram beat Ivey do you think he'd give him his money back?
Old 04-20-2007, 10:45 PM

i think whoever said it's a cultural diff. between the U.K. and the U.S. obviously hasn't seen the dateline (or whatever NBC news show it was) where a man from the U.K. came to america and swindled famous/wealthy americans out of millions by claiming he was a rockefeller and conned them into false business deals. when he returned to the U.K. he was hailed as a hero and even published books about it.

so i think it's just a matter of who did the hustling.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why don't we make the correct analogy here, and say that lying about your handicap is much more similar to lying about the strength of your hand? OMFG IVEY JUST CHECKED AND THEN RAISED WHAT A LIAR.

[/ QUOTE ]
Check-raising isn't lying. (When you say "I check," and subsequently, "I raise," you are telling the truth. You are not making any false statement. You are making a true statement in the hope that your opponent will draw an incorrect inference from it.)

Lying about your golf handicap doesn't have to be "like" anything in poker. But if we have to pick something that it's like, how's about it's like saying you're a losing player at seven-card stud when in fact you're not?
Old 04-20-2007, 10:50 PM

we need Nick Rainey in here to see what he has to say.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He did agree to arbitration. What are you talking about?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why should Phil agree to arbitration?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because he expects to get paid for his hustle. Even if that is less than he originally hustled the mark out of.

As i said way up the thread and someone down here recently reminded everyone, surely if Phil Ivey is so sure of his case, why bring in a close friend as one of the independent arbiters?
Old 04-20-2007, 11:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As i said way up the thread and someone down here recently reminded everyone, surely if Phil Ivey is so sure of his case, why bring in a close friend as one of the independent arbiters?

[/ QUOTE ]
Because the close friend in question has the trust and respect of everyone involved?

Whom would you recommend to arbitrate this matter?
Old 04-20-2007, 11:08 PM

It is hard or me to believe how gullible the people on here and on the Hendonmob forum are. Someone trying to get out of a debt comes up with a reason not to pay, and so many of you bought it.

1. Phil never lied to them. And he didn't shoot better than he said he would. He putted well, but hit the ball worse. He shot in the 90's as expected.

2. Erick Lindgren gave Phil 10 shots during the summer. He now gives Phil 8 shots. They played even in a nine-hole TV match in Australia, and Erick clobbered Phil. When Mark and Ram asked Erick if they ever played even, he admitted they had, but he made sure that Ram knew that he was a much better golfer than Phil. That conveniently got left out of Ram's post.

3. Mark and Ram beat Phil five times in a row. The last time was in Barcelona where Phil lost six of the first seven holes and then walked off the course. Ram says Phil lost only $34,000, which is hard to do playing in increments of three different $10,000 bets per hole. (Two individual bets and a team bet.) Ram forgot to mention that the reason they are not much ahead of Phil is that Phil won most of the money back at Chinese Poker.

4. After they played the first nine holes in Australia, they made a small adjustment in the match, and Ram and Mark asked for a contract. (A contract means no more adjustments while in Austrailia.) They continued for a total of 72 holes. (Mark didn't finish the last nine.) At what point, should they have taken responsibility for their loss? Or is it OK to play to try to win money back, and not pay if you lose?

6. Except for nine holes where Mark parred seven holes, as expected, since he is nearly a scratch golfer, I don't think Mark shot less than 45, where his average was expected to be 38. And Ram, who was supposed to be better than Phil, was having trouble breaking 100 for 18 holes.

7. If $140,000 had been won instead of $1,400,000, the money would have been paid and a new match would have been negotiated. As Benny Binion once said, "I usually find that people are honorable as long as they can afford to be."

8. I was not brought in as an arbitrator or to fight Phil's battles. Phil wanted me to show up because he said, "You're never going to believe what they have to say. Their whole argument is that since they didn't realize they were clear underdogs in the match, the match should be voided."

9. Phil usually tells me about his matches. I invariably tell him he is an underdog. He always says he likes to win as the underdog by being tougher under pressure, and if he loses he will practice and get better and eventually win the money back.

10. The reason Phil has never defended himself is that he is a private person, and he didn't even know these forums existed until I told him about what was being posted. I have a feeling Phil may have someting to say or write once this is settled.

I can't believe that this thread has gotten so big, starting from a false hypothesis.

Barry
Old 04-20-2007, 11:14 PM

/thread

I have a feeling Phil may have someting to say or write once this is settled.

i'm pretty sure 2p2 would actually explode from Phil winning the internet so hard.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:21 PM

Not only is ram not paying off his bets, he is trying to ruin phil iveys rep. what an [censored].
Old 04-21-2007, 12:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
limon, vhawk, etc.

So, you're professional golf hustlers. You make a living lying about your abilities to gullible fools with too deep pockets and too much gamble in them. That's fine by me. Idiot tax I says.

But.. Stop projecting your own experiences onto the situation that is being discussed here. Consider the following facts:

1) Ram considered Ivey a friend before the match.
2) Ram isn't a professional golf hustler in the sense you are. Sure, he plays golf for money, but don't assume he lives by your so-called ethical code.
3) For most people, apparently outside your circle, sandbagging is not only considered unethical, but also as downright cheating.

Consider those facts, and consider that Ram isn't privy to your insider-golf-hustler-douchebag ethical code, is it so far fetched to say that Ram has a legitimate grievance here?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am most certainly NOT a professional golf hustler. I've never played golf for any significant amount of money. I AM, however, smart enough to realize that, since I have no idea how the world of golf hustling works, it would be best to take the experience and wisdom of those who do rather than make stupid assumptions based on my own ignorance.

The rest of your post is pretty much nonsense, but it sure is hilarious.