Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2006, 12:21 AM

Default More Weird Username Shenanigans

This post:

http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/...age=0&vc=1

Was made by user "Olliejen," not VBM, according to the archive server. How this VBM character has 0 posts when, well, he's attributed w/ a post is beyond me. Here's another:

http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/show...rue#Post2582730

As you can see, ollie edited it. It appears that VBM has replaced ollie in the archives, while ollie still appears as ollie in all posts on the current forumserver:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...age=0&vc=1

Now, ollie is still posting under the same name, at least as of today. He hasn't changed his name. No offense to ollie, but I don't think it's the biggest deal that his posts can easily be found on the archive server. However, if this happened to someone like Clarkmeister, that'd be pretty bad. Any ideas as to how this might have happened? Anyone notice anyone else whose posts they can't find anymore? Any ideas to fix it (I guess that's only Chuck, but at least I'll get the word out)?
Old 02-16-2006, 02:23 AM

Default Re: More Weird Username Shenanigans

Name change and then name change back?

You'll see that Diablo for instance, shows up under His Uly Id in the archives. Also post counts are goofy in the archives as well.
Old 02-16-2006, 09:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]

You'll see that Diablo for instance, shows up under His Uly Id in the archives.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I became aware of this from reading Nick B.'s post in suggestions.
Chuck knows about it, too.

This olliejen/VBM thing is probably an example of the same oddity, as the user number is the same for both names, but this is still a bit different. If you've already talked to ollie about this, could you ask him if he has ever changed his name? I'll send him a message if this is just something you happened to notice by chance.

If there ever was a change, I suspect the reason the post count is at zero is because someone actually registered with the 'vbm' display name after ollie had changed his.

Profile for 'vbm'

He has zero posts. Also, while the display name is basically the same to the system, it wasn't entered in the same way as the name you see for ollie in the archive. The newer user's name uses lowercase, whereas the other is all caps. The user numbers are different, as well.

The thing that's most confusing to me is the 02/17/05 registration date listed for 'VBM' in the archive. I'll let Chuck know about all of this once we find out if ollie ever had a different name or requested one.
Old 02-16-2006, 01:30 PM

OK, I sent him a PM, but he doesn't post all that much any more. It may be a bit before I hear back.
Old 02-16-2006, 01:38 PM

It could also be that the archive software doesn't set the user right in all cases. But I'm not clear on how to track this down. It isn't at the top of my list. It can be moved higher if someone thinks it's really important.

Chuck
Old 02-16-2006, 01:50 PM

I guess I spoke to soon. Ollie just got back to me, and he never has tried to change his name.

Chuck, if it was just ollie, I wouldn't really be concerned. He was a good poster, but people aren't exactly clamoring to find his stuff. What I'm worried about is if it can happen to Ollie, who else might have this happened to? If this could happen to GoT, Clarkmeister, Ulysses, or NPA, that would constitute something pretty bad, IMHO.
Old 02-16-2006, 01:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It isn't at the top of my list. It can be moved higher if someone thinks it's really important.

[/ QUOTE ]

It shouldn't be a big problem as long as it doesn't start happening often enough to make more than a few users unrecognizable in the archive. That's not the case right now.