Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2007, 12:53 AM

Default Does anyone know anything about DuplicatePoker.com?

Is it a good site, shady, and what is it that makes them what they say is 100% legal? I followed a link from a post on here for compatiblepoker.com and it had this site on there and I was curious if anyone knew anything about it?
Old 10-03-2007, 08:34 PM

Default Re: Does anyone know anything about DuplicatePoker.com?

Try searching for other threads. It's been discussed before. I think it's shady for a few reasons:

1) Luck is still a factor, so their claims that it is a purely skill based game seem to be false.
2) Cheating seems to be much, much easier. If you have a friend at another table in the same tournament, you can talk, and you can help each other, since you know 1 other player's cards. This would seem to give a player a bigger advantage than other games.
3) Games move slowly. They move at the same pace, so the game goes at the same pace as other tables.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:05 PM

The games are so slow....
Old 10-03-2007, 09:07 PM

And just not that fun...
Old 10-06-2007, 12:14 PM

i felt this site was a joke, however i got 10 free for signing up and cashed out 100 and hour later no questions asked :].

However i would strongly suggest you not deposit your own money because its basically gambling. You cant win no matter how good you play if the other dude is playing against a monkey.
Old 10-06-2007, 12:58 PM

The "skill-based" claim is for legal purposes - to support their claim that it is completely legal. The premise is that you are competing against anothe player at a second table that is playing the exact same hand as you, so the game isn't based on the "luck" of the poker hand. You earn tournament points every time you gain more chips or lose less chips at the end of a hand than your matching player on the other table. You win a tournament by winning tournament points.

It goes slow because the only way to advance to the next hand is when all players at all tables are done with the current hand and tournament points are awarded.

It's a pretty strange game - often you make more tournament points be folding preflop than playing a hand. Or, you lose points when you make a big hand and trap for a lot of chips, but your matching player gets someone to go all in with them. You aren't competing so much with the other players at your table as you are competing with your matching player. That's why it is "skill-based" rather than "luck gambling."

Fun to try it, but not quite the same flavor as real poker.