Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2007, 03:54 AM

Default Re: do you call a draw if you are even money?

If it was an all-in play folding and calling both have the same equal expectation.

However if you are a fish against a table of Pro's this might be a good bet for you and likely to take a chunk out their bankroll or stack and have a good story to tell till your old and grey on how you went against the best and beat them. However if your a pro against a fish, you would want to fold because you can just get on with the next hand where you are the favourite without the variance it causes to your bankroll. If in a tournament - this becomes even more true - it is a must dependant on your skill level...

However, if lets say your playing a limit stud cash game and had more streets to play and your getting exactly the % you need to call for that street, then its probably best to keep going on inorder to outplay him later in the hand. Infact that can often be correct if you have slightly under the odds needed to call if you are against an right opponent where you gain enough equity later to make it worthwhile. So in that situation the reverse would be true...
Old 09-20-2007, 04:19 AM

I'd call, for metagame reasons. I'm a bit weak-tight player so I wouldn't mind if the opponents would bluff me less in the future, knowing that I can make a call like that.

Whether you call or not, assuming you have an adequate bankroll, to me this is a metagame decision. Will calling make me more or less money in the future?
Old 09-20-2007, 04:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Actually I think you are wrong.

Simple example, one card to come. Pot is 1000 and you have 20% equity in the pot. You can call a bet with pot odds of 4:1 and you will be even money (0 EV). So that means you would face a bet of 250. Say you raised to 1000 total and got called. What you have effectively done is put in 1000 to win 2000 which is 2:1 odds. Your raise and his call reduced your pot odds from 4:1 to 2:1.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. Any money you raise on top of the call, you're only getting 1:1 return. So your overall pot odds decreases drastically.

I guess the key is whether the fold equity overcomes the loss in pot odds?
Old 09-20-2007, 10:34 AM

It's an 0 EV situation as the OP pointed out, which means the pot odds are already accounted for. Calling doesn't do anything but raise variance.

If there are fringe benefits to gain from calling that's something else, and if they make calling favorable for your session overall -at least enough to outweigh the variance- then fine call. But absent these other factors, there's no reason to.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:10 PM

dont forget about the rake. if the rake hasnt been capped already and your all ins add more for the house, thats taking away from your 0 EV. but other than that, id try to advertise myself loosely and say "i like to gamble" or "i think you have me crushed" etc and call. this may make you seem like a crazy loose gambler that you can take advantage of.