Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2007, 01:44 AM

Default Re: Squat Problem w/ paragraphs

any streching suggestions besides the static regular hamstring streches?
Old 09-05-2007, 04:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
any streching suggestions besides the static regular hamstring streches?

[/ QUOTE ]
find a corner of your wall that sticks out, lay on your back and put one leg flat-ish up against the wall, and let the other leg lie flat on the ground. Just chill out for awhile and watch tv, switch when it gets painful or your leg is getting numb from blood loss. That's what my physical therapist recommended to me.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:58 AM

CBIZ,

work on your squatting depth by practicing the squat. Do BW squats while holding onto the rack and really force yourself into the hole and hold that position. Make sure you make effort to keep good form and do these as often as possible. You can do them at home by holding onto a table or your couch arm.

Once you can do them without holding onto something then you should be able to start doing them with weight.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:29 PM

alright I will try to work on doing bw squats and that strech technique but I just tried it and my leg "flat-ish" was quite a bit away from flatish so I got a long way to go. It is a little dishearting going from a set of 3x5 at 1.5 BW to having to start over but I guess I would rather have to do that than have a destroyed lower back.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:39 PM

theblackkeys,

On that strech should I bend my leg on the ground to allow the up leg to get to straight and check progress relative to the ground leg or should I always keep my ground leg straight and check progress relative to the up leg?
Old 09-05-2007, 06:01 PM

According to exrx, its not actually hamstring inflexibility, but glute and adductor magnus inflexibility that causes lower back rounding: http://www.exrx.net/Questions/FullSquatHipFlex.html

Also take a look at the squat rx guy on youtube, he has a bunch of these. The first one here is specifically about lower back rounding: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rq8CW...ed&search=
Old 09-05-2007, 09:02 PM

dethgrind,

Thanks for the info. I will look into it farther. The only reason I thought hamstring inflexibility was the culprit in my individual case was that when i practice slow bodysquats I can feel the extreme strain on my hamstrings when getting close to parallel/the rounding occurs.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:04 PM

I wouldn't discount tight hamstrings. If they're short and tight it's obvious they're going to pull in the ass and cause your back to round out.
Old 09-06-2007, 02:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
theblackkeys,

On that strech should I bend my leg on the ground to allow the up leg to get to straight and check progress relative to the ground leg or should I always keep my ground leg straight and check progress relative to the up leg?

[/ QUOTE ]
i'm not positive, but I would believe that the non stretching leg that is sitting on the ground should be flat.
Old 09-13-2007, 01:29 AM

theblackkeys,

I have been doing your strech ever night and I have increased my flexibility by quite a bit. I also had a revelation doing bw squats today. If I keep my legs straight and start the motion by sticking my butt backwards which makes me lean over, letting my legs break at the last momement, and then from there go down for some reason it doesnt strech my hamstrings as much and lets me keep a flat back all the way to parallel. I know you are suppose to sit back, which I do, but by not breaking my knees until the last moment along with sitting back it seems to do the trick for some reason. Does that make any sense? Okay to squat this way?