Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2007, 11:24 PM

Default Re: 3 Billion a week

[ QUOTE ]
firearm (i'd guess the vast majority pistols and shotguns) <<<<<<<<<<< assault rifle

[/ QUOTE ]

What's an assault rifle?
Old 08-30-2007, 12:01 AM

A lot of the posts in this thread disappoint me.

If we were to free up an additional 3 billion $ a week, we should not throw it into new and bigger wasteful govt programs.

We should return it to the people it belongs to - us, the taxpayers.

Normal people are better at usefully spending money than politicians are.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
We could provide health insurance for every uninsured person in the country with what we're spending in Iraq. Its sad, really.

What you would rather spend $3 billion/week on?

[/ QUOTE ]

We could also give back the taxpayers the money too.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL !! That 3 billion a week is borrowed money from selling bonds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats pretty irrelevant, DUCY?
Old 08-30-2007, 12:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not irrelvant at all. There's no way that the government would give us 3 Billion a week, much less borrow to pay for it. Time to blow it up and start over.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not irrelvant at all. There's no way that the government would give us 3 Billion a week, much less borrow to pay for it. Time to blow it up and start over.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, of course they would never give us the money back. My point was that its irrelevant whether the "money really existed in the first place" or not. If they can borrow/manufacture 3 billion/week to pay for the war, they can do it to pay for all the things our tax dollars go to, and thus give us all our tax money back.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
We could provide health insurance for every uninsured person in the country with what we're spending in Iraq. Its sad, really.

What you would rather spend $3 billion/week on?

[/ QUOTE ]

We could also give back the taxpayers the money too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Over 50% of the average American's earnings are taken away by various taxes. This means that average Americans spend over half of their entire working lives, working to pay the State (or being a slave to the State, depending on how you view it).

Yes, I'd say rebating $3 billion a week to Americans would be a good start.

It's not like the money was just FOUND somewhere and the main question is how shall it be most joyfully spent.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That is what CNN is reporting the War in Iraq will cost if Bush gets his appropriations. It currently costs over 2 Billion a week.

I don't know about you, but I cannot think of a better way to spend my tax dollars.

[/ QUOTE ]

The cost of 9/11? Have read estimates of $700 billion to the economy and a loss of 2 million jobs. May or may not be accurate but the cost was high, very high. What does this have to do with the U.S. involvment in Iraq? Depends on what you feel the value of a changed Middle East political environment is worth as well as if and how to go about it. Two sides to the worthiness of the situation in Iraq and how it affects the "root causes" of terrorism. If the U.S. left the Middle East to it's own devices not sure how much this would cost in the long run either. I'm fairly certain that not accounting for/ignoring the political situation in the Middle East and possible economic outcomes is short sighted at best. I fully acknowledge that U.S. foreign policy in the Middle East currently and in the past may have contributed to various problems (it could be argued that 9/11 was just blowback for instance). So I guess what I'm trying to say is do you have something more to offer as to what the U.S. should do? An immediate pull out of Iraq could be an expensive mistake too.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My point was that its irrelevant whether the "money really existed in the first place" or not. If they can borrow/manufacture 3 billion/week to pay for the war, they can do it to pay for all the things our tax dollars go to, and thus give us all our tax money back.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never looked at it that way.........and I like your way of thinking.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There's roughly one private firearm per 6 people in the U.S

[/ QUOTE ]

First, gun collectors often own 10, 20 or more guns, %of households with a firearm is much lower. Secondly certain area have far stri8cter rules and far fewer firearms, it is not at all an even distribution.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, but even so I find it hard to believe that the evolution of democracy in Switzerland vs. USA can be attributed to the gun density. That suggests that Americans would behave differently if they were given more guns. I think American apathy has little to do with not feeling "sufficiently armed".
Old 08-30-2007, 09:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Is this really a major contributing factor? There's roughly one private firearm per 6 people in the U.S. (pulled from Wikipedia so grain of salt). While Switzerland is certainly higher, it's not like the U.S. population is unarmed.

[/ QUOTE ]

According to Reuters those numbers are way off:

web page

I'm not sure if those numbers also include weapons possessed by the armed forces.