Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2007, 03:04 PM

Default NL Texas Hold\'em CG : How to play against a min-raise at the BB ?

Hi,

I do not know how you do manage a min-raise when you are the big blind in cash game but I am not sure if calling a min-raise should be a no-brain action even if you have rag hands or if you need to play the odds which depends of how many people are calling the min-raise.

I do not talk about the case where you have a good hand. So, if there is many calls, which is the point (pot odds I guess) where the call at the BB is worth ? If there is only your opponent and you (we presume that he is unknown yet), is it instant call ?
Old 05-18-2007, 06:06 PM

Default Re: NL Texas Hold\'em CG : How to play against a min-raise at the BB ?

I don't think that you should be calling more from the BB just because your pot odds are better. I would be more likely to call with a hand like 56s from the BB when there are three or four callers. IMO if you are calling with hands like Q9 or other speculative hands its going to a -EV play.

the reason for this is with small suited connectors you are going to have a hand that will usualy play itself. you either going to flop a big hand, a big draw, or nothing. those hands for the most part are easier to play then a hand like top pair no kicker. also, the fact that you are playing this hand in one of the worse positions is going to make playing a weak one paired hand very tricky, and more often then not, your going to be playing a big pot out of position, when your beat. these three things are not very profitable.
Old 05-18-2007, 09:16 PM

Default Re: NL Texas Hold\'em CG : How to play against a min-raise at the BB ?

Most beginners lose a lot of money from the blinds. I know I did until I saw my position stats after ~4000 hands. I would have been far better off folding EVERY hand from the blinds.

the pot odds given you in the blinds do very little to compensate for the punishing position you'll be in.

There are exceptions, of course. It's hold 'em. But short answer, don't play much from the blinds. Play a lot like you're UTG.