Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2005, 05:39 AM

Default Re: Does your significant other mind poker?

You missed

She understands it’s a hobby so she doesn’t mind, but wouldnt like me to play in all our free time so I limit my play.
Old 04-29-2005, 06:53 AM

I was getting a fairly tepid response about my playing until I brought home $1K from my first live tourney win. After that it was still lukewarm for a while, then I won an entry onto the PPM cruise last year. Once we got back it was "don't touch your bankroll, let's keep building it up."

Now I get really good support which really helps when I'm having a downswing.

Shauna
Old 04-29-2005, 07:07 AM

What kind of a lousy Go match is this?
Old 04-29-2005, 07:15 AM

she actually encourages me to play.
she thinks that it's good for me to unwind, because i enjoy it a lot.
Old 04-29-2005, 07:59 AM

My ex was great about it. Shame she was such a pain in the butt about everything else. But when she was over my place, she wanted the computer off (understandably). SHe also hated that when she fell asleep about 9:00 Sunday nights, I'd sneak back on the computer till about 3 a.m. -- Buddy, I was awake anyway.

But since the break up ... I play cards, golf and coach. These are 3 activities that do not promote meeting an abundance date-worthy people.

Someone should start a match.com for card players! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

edit note: It is also difficult to expalin the computer with 2 screens, and laptop set up to new dates. They are always like - "What do you need that for?" Then, I expalin that have a small online business that requires different screens.
Old 04-29-2005, 08:08 AM

I have the best defence in the world to any complaint - she wears an engagement ring that I would not have been in a position to buy without poker winnings!

"Poker paid for that ring on your finger" is a great line to have in any argument on the issue!

Sheriff

PS: The good lady doesn't play herself but even she has expressed surprise at how much she has picked up from seeing me play and from reluctantly watching it on TV. She could actually be a decent player but has so far never shown any interest in having a go. The only time this ever makes things slightly awkward is when we go to Vegas as I either have to make sure she's happily shopping or being spa-treated when I play or wait until she's asleep before hitting the tables!
Old 04-29-2005, 08:37 AM

My wife understands that this is my hobby, and that I really enjoy it. I used to tell her how much I won, but now I don't because she doesn't care.

I mostly play late at night, she is on an earlier schedule than I am.

I don't like to take too much time away from her.

My play will decrease significantly when the baby comes in August.
Old 04-29-2005, 10:22 AM

We are currently investing all gambling income towards a vacation home in Mexico. She loves it.

Good luck all,

Fitz
Old 04-29-2005, 10:43 AM

My wife tolerates my play now.

In the beginning she hated it. My comoputer is in our living room and I often play in her presence. I block out my surronds when I play and therefore I rarely hear her when she asks me a question and this drives her crazy. She feels very strongly that the money I'm making isn't worth my not being present enough. A few months ago we made an agreement that I would only play late at night, after the kids were in bed. This has helped a lot. I now usually only play between 10:00pm and 3:00am. She's usually alseep most of that time. Now she only whines when I'm useless in the morning because I stayed up too late getting drunk playing poker (this is a typical Saturday morning for me). We really need the extra income and I've had the opportunity to bail us out of some real financial troubles. I think she looks at it like I do now. It's a second job and the money is reliable. She has definitely gotten over her fear that I will someday "lose it all" and knows my system is working though she can't fathom how.
Old 04-29-2005, 11:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My wife tolerates my play now.

... My comoputer is in our living room and I often play in her presence. I block out my surronds when I play and therefore I rarely hear her when she asks me a question and this drives her crazy. ....
==> Playing while being in the same room is asking for trouble from my wife for the same reasons. I only play in the study.
... A few months ago we made an agreement that I would only play late at night, after the kids were in bed. This has helped a lot. ...
==> I would never play with my kids being around me. Good agreement!
...She has definitely gotten over her fear that I will someday "lose it all" and knows my system is working though she can't fathom how.
==> It took mine four months to lose that fear

[/ QUOTE ]