Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2007, 09:05 PM

Default K9s flush draw, check or bet turn?

No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $5/$10
5 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $1.027
Hero: $1.058
Button: $1.198
SB: $1.006
BB: $1.037

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is CO with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $35</font>, Button folds, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($105, 3 players)
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $75</font>, SB calls, BB folds.

Turn: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($255, 2 players)
SB checks, Hero ????

Villain is a bit of a stubborn lagtard, but not too extreme. Take the free card, or fire again?
Old 01-08-2007, 05:04 AM

Default Re: K9s flush draw, check or bet turn?

$200 I think. I think you'll get plenty of hands to fold. villan could be peeling one with 88 and the like, turn card is a great one to bet.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:08 AM

depends how lag lagtard is. if he can find a fold button this is an easy bet
Old 01-08-2007, 05:35 AM

i like a check a little better, but i probably would bluff alot of rivers
Old 01-08-2007, 05:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Super-screams busted flush draw. Bet the turn, if he calls I'd probably check through a blank on the river expecting to get called if I bet
Old 01-08-2007, 05:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Super-screams busted flush draw. Bet the turn, if he calls I'd probably check through a blank on the river expecting to get called if I bet

[/ QUOTE ]

no, it screams i have nothing so im giving up the pot

if hero can have K9s here, he can certainly have K9c K9h or K9d, all of which are pure nothings (as well as other drawesque or marginal hands)

for that matter it could be Ax which cbet the flop and now checked behind the turn for pot control

hero's hand with a turn check is not all that defined

reason i would bluff the river on alot of cards is - this is assuming villain checks - its a clear value bet for me with an ace (or a king if i improve) because villains best likely hand is Jx, and if he's lag he certainly can be peeling (for value or for whatever reason those guys think of) any smaller pair or underpair. a bluff on my part id expect hands less then Jx to fold, dependning on call station tendencies of opponent, they may fold Jx too.

also, if villain does have something a gutshot (or the strong flop hand of T8s, unlikely) him pairing and winning would be awful... or if he has a lower flush draw and paired..

and i just cant see most players making a pair with those types after that turn and then check calling the river. once again, depends on their showdown % tho

if villain bets and you dont improve you fold.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:53 AM

one other note is the ace is a great card for villain to c/r with aj or a set, if we bet the turn and he folds it is possible (although not guarunteed) a river bluff would work just as well

the difference between a bet and a check though is one hand you stand the chance of being blown off a solid draw and the other you see a river...
Old 01-08-2007, 05:54 AM

I usually use feel in these spots. If villan insta called flop and checked the turn quickly I would defenitly fire. If he is weak he will call the flop very quickly without thinking, where as if he has a set or AJ he will think before calling ( debating whether to raise or call). So if he called quickly I fire again as the only hands that I am worried about are A7 and A3.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:38 AM

Stack sizes dictate a check here, to protect your drawing potential. Also, if he too is on a lower FD, you want to let him get there if at all possible, he'll likely fold to a decently sized turn bet.

You can chase off weak non-drawing hands like QJ/99 with a second barrel here, but when you've got many clean outs and can almost certainly get a river bet out of them by checking the turn, why get too aggressive?

As bobbo noted, you can also bluff rivers with some effectiveness after you check behind the turn, but use caution when doing so, many villains will call down or bet-call with jacks after you check turn.