Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-09-2007, 09:29 PM

Default Re: TLDR Beer Club

KT, way to go off the beaten path. I must admit I was skeptical my first go-around, but I'm a big fan of sour things in general, so maybe that's why I like sour beer so much. One of the major differences between regular Rodenbach and the Grand Cru is that the latter is aged in French Oak I believe, so you end up getting a much dryer finish and you can smell/taste the barrel's influence in the beer. The Grand Cru is the superior beer, IMO, as it should be. As far as sour ales go, both Rodenbachs are probably the cheapest you'll find and they're damn good for the price.

For those who may not want to jump into the deep end, but maybe want put their foot in the water, I suggest trying beers that have been partially fermented with Brettanomyces. This particular yeast gives beers a very funky aroma and slightly sour taste, but it's not balls-to-the-wall or anything. Some examples include Ommegang Ommegeddon, any of the Jolly Pumpkin brews, and Orval.