Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2006, 12:23 PM

Default Re: Mannys value

I'm a Yankees fan and I almost always agree with everything you say.

Not sure why I brought that up.
Old 04-03-2006, 12:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm a Yankees fan and I almost always agree with everything you say.

Not sure why I brought that up.

[/ QUOTE ]

hinting for a date?
Old 04-03-2006, 12:30 PM

Nah I don't date Red Sox fans.
Old 04-03-2006, 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Wow. I will guarantee Minaya goes after him given the chance, Minaya is really starting to get on Mets' fans nerves.
-James

[/ QUOTE ]

What mets fans have you been talking to? The KKK members upstate?

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, not exactly. I love a lot of the moves he has made, he is just too trigger happy in my opinion. I am all for getting good players, but he has decimated the starting pitching which is now old and fragile. Beltran still looks very expensive, and Pedro is going to need to get healthy quick justify his fat contrcat. Note that I love Pedro and am very happy he is on the team, but Minaya had to know that it was very unlikely for the Mets to do much last year, which was almost guaranteed to be his most productive year.

Nady for Cameron just seems like a huh? move that doesn't help the Mets at all, and helps the Padres a lot. Cameron is a lifetime .780 OPS coming off an .813 OPS season, and Nady is a lifetime .734 OPS(.760 last season) who has never played a full season. Cameron is one of the best fielders in the league. Maybe Nady has a ton of unseen upside, but if this is at best a wash, all it does is bring more new faces and less familiar ones, which has been Minaya's MO.

Delgado is a great player, one of the best hitters in the league, and even though Petit and Jacobs have shown a lot of promise this move is a no-brainer.

Seo for relievers - Seo was really showing promise last year, but has never been touted as a great prospect so I suppose the reasoning here was to get the most for him while you can.

Benson for Julio? Huh?

The Mets fans I talk to are more impressed by results than simply piling on big names for big $$, which is case your memory is short-term(i.e., since the Mets recently signed a big wave of big name players for big money), has been the Mets M.O. for way too long. If they do a lot this year, woohoo!!! Let's go Mets! But that doesn't mean I still can't be annoyed by a guy who just wants to make trades left and right, seemingly ignoring value in some cases.
-James

EDIT: Our current rotation is Pedro(hurt toe), Glavine, Victor Zambrano, Steve Trachsel, Aaron Heilman, and Brian Bannister. Watch out National League East!
Old 04-03-2006, 02:32 PM

scott kazmir
Old 04-03-2006, 02:37 PM

Minaya has essentially placed a huge bet on the next two seasons. He has gone out and gone crazy to bring all these players and has made then a legitimate contender for the division, and coupled with the excitement Mets fans have to feel I think that is a pretty worthwhile upside. The obvious downside is that in 2-3 years the mets could be saddled with ridiculous contracts with no options. Or even worse they might do badly this year and just be royally [censored].

I have spoken to some fans who are really really happy with him and while I generally think he has helped the mets I would still have mixed feelings about him if I were a fan. When you overpay by that much for multiple players, a downside will come. I think the upside and potential they have this season is still worth it, but you are paying a definite price for it.

I feel kind of weird as a Yankee fan, ever since Willie went to manage the Mets I have essentially been in their corner. I guess I dont feel threatened that the Mets will be better and seeing them flailing and pathetic just got old.
Old 04-03-2006, 02:50 PM

i dont like many, i think he is selfish and a crappy defensive player. all the man is a dh and you cant pay millions for a dh
Old 04-03-2006, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
scott kazmir

[/ QUOTE ]

Pre-Minaya.
-James
Old 04-03-2006, 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Minaya has essentially placed a huge bet on the next two seasons. He has gone out and gone crazy to bring all these players and has made then a legitimate contender for the division, and coupled with the excitement Mets fans have to feel I think that is a pretty worthwhile upside. The obvious downside is that in 2-3 years the mets could be saddled with ridiculous contracts with no options. Or even worse they might do badly this year and just be royally [censored].

I have spoken to some fans who are really really happy with him and while I generally think he has helped the mets I would still have mixed feelings about him if I were a fan. When you overpay by that much for multiple players, a downside will come. I think the upside and potential they have this season is still worth it, but you are paying a definite price for it.

I feel kind of weird as a Yankee fan, ever since Willie went to manage the Mets I have essentially been in their corner. I guess I dont feel threatened that the Mets will be better and seeing them flailing and pathetic just got old.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me say that I don't mind overspending for quality players if the Mets can afford it. I just don't particularly like making every move possible just to do it when it doesn't make any sense for the team. I think he has improved the Mets, but that doesn't mean that I can't be annoyed by him also.

I have mixed feelings about Willie also. From his interviews I like him as a person, but he also messes up the most basic aspects of being a manager - i.e., getting your best player the most at bats and getting your worst players the least at bats. For evidence, see lineups last year where Kaz Matsui was batting second and David Wright was batting 6th or 7th. Or Lo Duca batting 2nd today with the next 4 guys batting behind him.
-James
Old 04-03-2006, 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Let me say that I don't mind overspending for quality players if the Mets can afford it. I just don't particularly like making every move possible just to do it when it doesn't make any sense for the team. I think he has improved the Mets, but that doesn't mean that I can't be annoyed by him also.

[/ QUOTE ]

I def see that, makes sense.

[ QUOTE ]
I have mixed feelings about Willie also. From his interviews I like him as a person, but he also messes up the most basic aspects of being a manager - i.e., getting your best player the most at bats and getting your worst players the least at bats. For evidence, see lineups last year where Kaz Matsui was batting second and David Wright was batting 6th or 7th. Or Lo Duca batting 2nd today with the next 4 guys batting behind him.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't actually watch too many mets games last year so I don't know much about his day to day managing. I do remember the thing about where Wright was batting, that didn't makes sense at all.