Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2007, 03:01 PM

Default Re: Monopoly money gone (aka \'shoot me now\')

[ QUOTE ]
How about the main issue: Monopoly's classic rules are beyond horrible for what could otherwise be a great, strategic game.

[/ QUOTE ]

The actual rules...or the ones people make up at home (like the whole money-in-Free-Parking thing)? Or the unlimited houses and hotels?
Old 09-20-2007, 03:07 PM

Anyone else think this was going to be about the canadian dollar matching the US dollar?
Old 09-20-2007, 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone else think this was going to be about the canadian dollar matching the US dollar?

[/ QUOTE ]

lol
Old 09-20-2007, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How about the main issue: Monopoly's classic rules are beyond horrible for what could otherwise be a great, strategic game.

[/ QUOTE ]

really? please explain

[/ QUOTE ]
Basically, the property values in Monopoly are too low relative to your starting cash of $1500. The proper strategy is essentially to buy every single unowned property that you land on. Whoever is lucky enough to land on a lot of unowned property has a large, sometimes insurmountable advantage, in which case you might as well play Candyland instead.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:16 PM

I read a great alternate version of the game that 2+2's curtains basically invented a while ago. I'll see if he's willing to post.

Basically there's a larger emphasis on auctions, where you don't have the option to buy property; instead there's a written auction held any time someone lands on a property, where you all write your bid for each property on a piece of paper and the highest bidder takes it. This makes it way harder to obtain a monopoly and also compromises everybody's cash assets early on, which decreases the value of the higher value properties later.

The advantage is people have to place a bigger emphasis on money early on in the game, and the dynamics change quite a bit as a result (dark green/blue properties are not nearly as valuable). Also, when a person 'busts out' their mortgaged properties go back to the bank, not the player, which is way better than the game's original rules. The game also ends more quickly this way.

The problem with the current game is the luck factor, the poorly set up auction system (which most people don't even use), and a basically limitless supply of money. Unless you are playing with people who make really bad trades, no amount of skill can overcome the game's inherent inequities of luck.

BTW I think if you made the Free Parking and Go spaces worth $50 each instead of just $200 for Go, the game would be a hell of a lot better.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:18 PM

I'm surprised they aren't trying to cash in on the poker boom by replacing the Monopoly Money with poker chips.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:19 PM

I saw this last night on a commercial and was shocked. Are there really that many people that sit around and say, "Hey, I would like to play some Monopoly, but all that simple addition and subtraction is just too much."
Old 09-20-2007, 03:25 PM

This is going to bomb horribly. They'll be putting the money back in less than 2 years.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I read a great alternate version of the game that 2+2's curtains basically invented a while ago. I'll see if he's willing to post.

Basically there's a larger emphasis on auctions, where you don't have the option to buy property; instead there's a written auction held any time someone lands on a property, where you all write your bid for each property on a piece of paper and the highest bidder takes it. This makes it way harder to obtain a monopoly and also compromises everybody's cash assets early on, which decreases the value of the higher value properties later.

The advantage is people have to place a bigger emphasis on money early on in the game, and the dynamics change quite a bit as a result (dark green/blue properties are not nearly as valuable). Also, when a person 'busts out' their mortgaged properties go back to the bank, not the player, which is way better than the game's original rules. The game also ends more quickly this way.

The problem with the current game is the luck factor, the poorly set up auction system (which most people don't even use), and a basically limitless supply of money. Unless you are playing with people who make really bad trades, no amount of skill can overcome the game's inherent inequities of luck.

BTW I think if you made the Free Parking and Go spaces worth $50 each instead of just $200 for Go, the game would be a hell of a lot better.

[/ QUOTE ]

These rules sound way better. Every game I've played virtually turns into Candyland b/c whenever I try to trade people they're so worried I'm trying to trick them so they do nothing and we roll until the one person with a monopoly wins.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:36 PM

This is actually a very serious issue. Monopoly is not just a game -- it teaches money management and investing. With the new change, kids are going to be exposed to charging purchases to a card, at a very early age! Now think about how many are gonna go into massive debt when they get their first credit card.

Not only that, giving change is soon going to be a lost art. I feel like almost no one can give change the old school way, and very few can give change without using a calculator / cash register. Very sad.