Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > Special Sklansky Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2007, 07:27 PM

Default Should we ignore this guy?

[ QUOTE ]
lots of good poker links on my site

[/ QUOTE ]

Shouldn't this guy be not allowed to post this stuff here? Should we put him on ignore him from now unless he agrees to never do something like this again? I will probably ignore him but this is not my forum so I'm just making a point.

leaponthis
Old 01-08-2007, 09:30 PM

Default Re: Is This Cheating?

[ QUOTE ]
In the case of x-ray vision the only one that knows abbout the x-ray vision or even the possibility of x-ray vision is the user.

[/ QUOTE ]
One should be aware of it if it would be possible.
The case with the glasses is a bit more likely.
But it makes no difference what degree of carelessness provides the cheating opportunity.
Intentionally using it is the point, no matter where it comes from.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:32 PM

Default OK - but who is Ryan Beal and....

Who, (whom) may I ask is Ryan Beal? Can he ban me from this forum? If so, I want to let him know that I am already banned from all other 2 + 2 forums but Sklansky doesn't care. I do not post anywhere else on 2 + 2. Their loss not mine. Well, Sklansky almost never replies to me anyway. I think he has me on ignore, like Mason Malmuth does. But that won't stop me. Give me liberty or ban me! By the way I have a nephew named Ryan.... [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

leaponthis
Old 01-08-2007, 09:35 PM

David I think I was banned oh well bye!

leaponthis
Old 01-08-2007, 11:10 PM

this is not cheating at all. just as with rules about protecting your cards when the dealer accidentally scoops them into the muck in the middle of a hand, there are also rules with protecting your cards as far as other people seeing them, which is why no one playing hold em picks up their cards off the table (in theory)
Old 01-09-2007, 02:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
this is not cheating at all. just as with rules about protecting your cards when the dealer accidentally scoops them into the muck in the middle of a hand, there are also rules with protecting your cards as far as other people seeing them, which is why no one playing hold em picks up their cards off the table (in theory)

[/ QUOTE ]

The difference between the glasses and scooping up cards is that when the dealer scoops up the cards, the player is aware something went wrong and is informed why it happened and how to avoid it. Likewise, the players ought to inform the guy wearing glasses about what is going on and how to avoid it. For the same reason, a player holding his cards in such a manner that his opponents can see his cards ought to be warned about it. Obviously, if a player chooses not to acknowledge these warnings once he has been given them, it is no longer cheating to use this information, as he is now aware that it is happening.
Old 01-09-2007, 03:11 AM

Ask the tourney director...
Old 01-09-2007, 08:45 AM

Andy,

How do you feel about "front loading?" I definitely agree that once a player has his cards it is his responsibility to protect them. But what about before he gets them. Is he responsible for a dealer mistake?

My opinion's below, in white. (To give you a chance to think about it first.)
<font color="white"> I think it's the player's responsibility to make sure the dealer gets the cards to him in a safe manner. I had to think about this one quite a bit before I settled on an opinion, but I think front loading is okay. </font>
Old 01-09-2007, 09:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

One could argue about unwritten rules or gentlemen behavior, but something like that doesn't exist in the world of gamblers and hustlers anymore. It's all about money and everything not expressively forbidden is allowed. It is the player's responsibility to protect his hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

This statement would justify every angle shot there is.

Shandrax, I am not coming at you personally with this. And in no way am I implying that you are an angle shooter.

If you can see the mans cards through his glasses, that's his tough luck. That player is not protecting his hand.

A player who has a physical impairment, well, it seems a little different to me. I have personally tried to look away when this situation has come up. ( he was a sweet old man, falling off his death bed, to come to the card room to play )

There has to be some sort of honour among theives?

[/ QUOTE ]

I play 100% online, so I can't shoot any angles and I am certainly not colluding with someone else.

That aside, I think there is a problem if you want to go too far with unwritten rules. They are usually not clear enough. I am a lawyer in real life, so I can tell you that it's not easy to convict someone on the basis of unwritten rules. If something is clearly wrong it should be expressively forbidden. Everything else is in a grey area, certainly not nice, but not illegal either.

That's where I draw the line: Cheating is illegal and it should be punished hard. Everything else is just bad behavior with undefined consequences.

Last but not least, in the good ole days, even the thieves had some sort of honor.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:39 PM

no to both.
the sportsman thing to do when you his cards reflected by his glasses is to tell the player. but there is no requirement. he probably wouldn't tell you if the situation were reversed (not that this makes a difference).

if you strive to be the perfect person then you should tell him about the glasses.
but you should also not be playing poker. lol