Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2006, 07:17 PM

Default Re: Where do you get your News?

[ QUOTE ]
Nielsio- re: youtube; anything/anyone specific I should keep a regular eye on?

DV- good stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Search for the word "conspiracy" on youtube.
Old 09-21-2006, 07:38 PM

I watch Brit Hume on fox, Chris Mathews on MSNBC and Lou Dobbs & Anderson Cooper on CNN.

I get Washington Post headlines emailed to me dailey and have a subscription to Time magazine.

also here
Old 09-21-2006, 07:55 PM

I don't watch any TV news.

I read CNN.com to see what the mainstream media is saying.

I read digg for interesting stuff that might have gotten looked over.

Then I read The Economist and a bunch of blogs (marginal revolution, agitator, catallarchy, mises, econlog, volokh) to read the thoughts of smart people.
Old 09-21-2006, 11:55 PM

CNN & MSNBC on TV

NYTimes & WASPost as Newspaper

CNN, WASHPOST.com & NYTimes.com online

Economist & Time for Mags.
Old 09-22-2006, 12:34 AM

for World news and Opinion - nothing beats BBC News and BBC World Service - I used to listen on shortwave before Internet streaming.

For US News and Opinion, I generally hit sites focused on several criteria, (what the enemy's TV station is propgandizing) - so I'll go from Fox News to Huffington Post pretty easily -

However, at it's core, most blogs are just reprints of articles from places like the NY Times, Washington Post, and other legitimate news media - (I no longer consider Broadcast TV News legitimate news - it's entertainment for ratings - if a story doesn't have footage, it's not considered a story and that shouldn't be a criteria for news selection)

truth is, virtually everything except my BBC TV broadcasts I get from the Internet and from summary sites that allow me to look at certain issues (Voter Fraud, Voter Supression) as well as other interesting tidbits - like how everyone appointed to the US Provisional Govt. in Iraq was a Bush Loyalist, many of whom were totally unqualified -

actually, Iraq was very similar to Katrina in one key way - made much worse by the incompetence and cronyism of the Bush Administration.

Stuff like that can't be summed up in a 20 sec. sound bite on the evening news when they can't show a picture of something - In addition, the Internet allows some form of discussion at least as opposed to just one side of what a media conglogmerate wants you to believe the News is.

in a sense, the internet has taken over the task of investigative journalism from the Newspapers, and it is an awesome sight to behold when you have 10K plus bloggers looking for the truth behind, say, Ohio's election voter suppression tactics, for one.

Internet 90%
TV 10%

BBC News for real news in the world - MSNBC, CNN, and blogs for news in America.

If I read newspapers I also read their online versions - no more paper wastage for me - recycle [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

oh yeah - forgot electoral-vote.com:2006 - GREAT site - GREAT - and he shoots it straight, telling you which races are really serious and which are statistical dead ties -

today it puts the Senate at 50/50 - but one of the said Democrats today is Lieberman, who the Republicans are backing in that state and should be consided the Republican challenger - so it'd really be 51-49 except that polls now show him and Lamont in a statical dead heat so 50/50 is as close to accurate as we can count on -

you won't learn that from a lamo 22 min. TV news broadcast - TV News in general is a joke and a half - take it from a broadcasting major, folks - [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

RB
Old 09-22-2006, 01:10 AM

I assume they also count Sanders as a D?

Either case they shouldnt count it as that, as the Senate would then be 50-48-2. even tho the 2 I's would Caucaus with the Dems, The Republicans would retain control.
Old 09-22-2006, 01:28 AM

the site considers him to be a "safe independant" for democrats -

[ QUOTE ]
The reason is eccentric, independent seven-term Rep. Bernie Sanders, who is wildly popular and caucuses with the Democrats. What did you expect from a state where the biggest tourist attraction is a yuppie ice cream factory? Sanders is running for the seat now being vacated by Jim Jeffords, himself not exactly standard issue, having switched from being a Republican to being an independent aligned with the Democrats in 2001, thus flipping the Senate. Safe Independent.

[/ QUOTE ]

you're right, of course - 50/48/2 still give house/senate leadership to them - and a tie gives Dick Cheney an excuse to go down to the Hill, break a tie with his vote, and tell people to go [censored] off -

but we've got time - Iraqi Civilians don't have a lot of time - but we do - enough to pick up a couple more seats -

the ones they consider most vulunerable are Conn (which is still barely for Lieberman, considered to be a Republican nowadays by both sides for purposes of political funding) - VA, NJ, and AZ.

rb
Old 09-22-2006, 10:21 AM

Well i see MO, MT, PA, OH As pick ups.

Were most likely gunna lose CT and NJ barring something good happening for the Dems/Bad For Liberman/Kean.

VA, AZ & NV Are in play somewhat but i doubt we really come close to getting any of them.

So i see the Senate coming in at 51-47-2. Better, but still a bad situation.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well i see MO, MT, PA, OH As pick ups.

Were most likely gunna lose CT and NJ barring something good happening for the Dems/Bad For Liberman/Kean.

VA, AZ & NV Are in play somewhat but i doubt we really come close to getting any of them.

So i see the Senate coming in at 51-47-2. Better, but still a bad situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

A Lieberman win in CT is pretty much a Democratic win since he'll almost certainly caucus with the Democrats regardless -- and may likely change his party affiliation back to D once the election is over anyway. There was an internal memo from the Lieberman camp (that circulated in the left wing blogs) which claimed he might not return to the Democratic caucus, but the following week his campaign refuted the notion and his official campaign site is pretty explicit that he'll be back if he wins. The same with Bernie Sanders, who won't change his affiliation but will caucus with the Dems. So while it will probably look like 51/47.5/1.5 (depending on if Lieberman changes his affiliation) --> for the purposes of the Senate power structure (committee control & assignments), it would essentially be 51-49.
Old 09-22-2006, 12:16 PM

If only people in Virgina would realize all Allen cares about is 2008, and hes a fake cowboy we might have a chance. As close as things are now, sadly i dont think Webb has a shot. Him killing Allen in the debate helped some, thats for sure.