Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2007, 03:14 AM

Default Showdown Value

This is a concept I greatly misunderstand, it is very fundamental, yet I just dont grasp it. At any point in a hand, we either have the best hand or we dont. If we have the best hand, wether it is bottom pair or top why do we consider our showdown value? Shouldnt we be getting as much value for the best hand as possible? And if we dont have the best hand why do we want to get to showdown with it at all? Someone please give me a solid description of what showdown value is, and what it means to our game.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:33 AM

Default Re: Showdown Value

It has to do with whether or not you should bluff the river. If we've missed/double barreled/only have a low pair or A high our hand might still have showdown value if our opponents might have missed a draw of some sort. In that case it might not be worth it to put in another large bet as a bluff since we might very well have the best hand.

If we do turn out to have the best hand with A high or a low pair then there's basically never any reason to bet for value since we never get called by worse, so ya even if we think we might have the best hand there's no use betting it for value.

Does this answer your questions?
Old 10-08-2007, 03:36 AM

There's also the fact that a hand has showdown value if it is marginal like middle pair no kicker that likely won't be called by worse...in that case it is best to check and not leave yourself open to a bluff or will only be called by better.
Old 10-08-2007, 04:22 AM

I'm really curious how you could tell anyone else that they are a poor poker player and then ask a question like this
Old 10-08-2007, 04:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm really curious how you could tell anyone else that they are a poor poker player and then ask a question like this

[/ QUOTE ]

Ive never claimed to be good at poker, so i can freely acknowledge the same trait in others as merely a courtesy. dick [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-08-2007, 04:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ive never claimed to be good at poker, so i can freely acknowledge the same trait in others as merely a courtesy. dick [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

talking [censored] to the good players will not get you very far, they are the players who you should be hoping respond to your posts
Old 10-08-2007, 04:49 AM

@ 2bb/100 and im running hot....
Old 10-08-2007, 05:00 AM

I dont know who you are, but i know you are prob buds with Futuredoc and thats where this is coming from. Its funny that you think that I should respect one lined responses, and be elated to find them in one of my threads. You dont get 3bazillion posts by being someone that really adds much insight and depth to a poker conversation, which is proven by you choosing to share youre condecending opinion. I apologize for whatever it was that i said that pissed all 5 of you off, but in reality who cares.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:16 AM

I'm merely saying that you should try not to make enemies on here

anyways

say your hand can beat air, but cant beat anything else, and you don't think that villain will fold anything that beats you but will fold all the hands that you beat, then you should check because you have showdown value (but nothing else)

betting here will not gain you anything, it will only fold out hands that you already beat or get calls from the hands that are beating you
Old 10-08-2007, 12:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
@ 2bb/100 and im running hot....

[/ QUOTE ]

as a matter of fact yes [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]