Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Probability
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2006, 07:11 AM

Default Re: Testing hypothesis that I\'m a winning player

I must admit that I have trouble reading your post. It's not very clear to me what you mean.

But what the rest of the population does is really of no consequence what so ever. I'm only interested in knowing whether *I'm* winning. Not whether I'm worse or better than the average Joe. It really doesn't matter that the numbers come from poker. They could just as easily be air temperature readings from Anchorage.

I agree with you that the average PTBB/100 for all players must be below zero, since the rake has to be paid. But I don't care about that. I'm putting up a hypothesis that I'm really 0 PTBB/100 or worse. Not that I'm above average. The numbers show that that's 0.75% to be the case. Since that's pretty unlikely, I can reject the hypothesis that my PTBB/100 is 0 or worse. Usually the likelyhood has to be below 5% to statistically reject a hypothesis.
That means that my 'real' PTBB/100 is somewhere above zero and I can say that I'm a winning player.

I could also put up a hypothesis that my real PTBB/100 is 5 or less. Then the math shows that that's 9.2% likely. It's still unlikely that my real PTBB/100 is 5 or lower, but since it's above 5% I can't statistically reject the hypothesis.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:20 AM

Default Re: Testing hypothesis that I\'m a winning player

[ QUOTE ]
I must admit that I have trouble reading your post. It's not very clear to me what you mean.

[/ QUOTE ]
SumZero is (perhaps only implicitly) suggesting you use a Bayesian approach, which is not what you are doing when you apply a straight z-test. In a Bayesian approach, you would assume the parameters of your play (that is, winrate and SD) are random variables. You would assign to them some a priori probability distribution based on whatever assumptions you deemed appropriate. This is called the prior distribution. After playing some hands, you then compute the conditional distribution of those parameters given your prior and your data. This is called the posterior distribution.

SumZero appears to be suggesting that an appropriate prior distribution for your winrate would be one that weighs more heavily on the negative side. His reason is that he knows nothing about you other than that you are a random player, and the average winrate of a random player is negative. If the prior is weighted on the negative side, then the posterior estimate of your winrate will be (maybe only slightly) less than the estimate you are getting.

Of course, he actually knows more about you than the fact that you are a random player. He knows you are a poster on 2+2 and you are a player interested in analyzing your game via statistics. So his assumption on the prior might not be valid. Also, it is you who are making the estimate, so it is you who must decide on the prior. Therefore, it is what you know and not what SumZero knows which is relevant to determining the prior.

In any event, the Bayesian approach is simply a different way of making estimates based on mathematical statistics.