Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2007, 09:48 PM

Default FossilMan requests your feedback

As some of you may know, I managed to win the $320 PLO with rebuys in the WCOOP the other day. I've just put the report on my website, as well as the entire hand history file that I requested from PokerStars. Please click the link below, which will get you to the news section of my website, then click on "WCOOP, Part 2" to open a new window with the trip report. Within the trip report, in paragraph 4, you will see the words "separate document" in gold. This is a hot link that will open up another new window with the hand history file of all 843 hands I played in this tournament. This was a 3MB email when I got it from PokerStars, so it might take a few extra seconds to load.

www.fossilmanpoker.com/news.php

If you have no interest, no problem, of course. Move on to the next thread here on 2+2. If you are interested, I would enjoy receiving your feedback here in this thread. You will see several hands listed in my report where I point out that I made a mistake, but I'm sure there were others. And maybe my mistakes weren't as bad as I thought. Anyway, I thought it might be fun, and certainly educational, for me to hear your thoughts.

I am cross-posting this in 3 forums, NVG, MTT, and Omaha high. If the mods don't like this, feel free to consolidate into one thread in one forum. To be honest, I wasn't sure which forum would be best for this, so I'm letting them decide.

Thanks, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)
Old 09-25-2007, 11:18 PM

Default Re: FossilMan requests your feedback

my feedback: you da man
Old 09-26-2007, 01:19 AM

Greg, I'll start with this hand:

PokerStars Game #12124988783: Tournament #70000006, $300+$20 Omaha Pot Limit
- Level XXVIII (30000/60000) - 2007/09/18 - 06:53:51 (ET)
Table '70000006 98' 9-max Seat #1 is the button
Seat 1: FossilMan (3749034 in chips)
Seat 9: O.Mustang (4472966 in chips)
FossilMan: posts small blind 30000
O.Mustang: posts big blind 60000
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to FossilMan [8h 2s 7s 5h]
FossilMan: raises 60000 to 120000
O.Mustang: raises 240000 to 360000
FossilMan: calls 240000
*** FLOP *** [Jd Kd 9s]
O.Mustang: checks
FossilMan: checks
*** TURN *** [Jd Kd 9s] [3c]
O.Mustang: checks
FossilMan: checks
*** RIVER *** [Jd Kd 9s 3c] [Tc]
O.Mustang: bets 360000
FossilMan: calls 360000
*** SHOW DOWN ***
O.Mustang: shows [3h 6c Ac Ah] (a pair of Aces)
FossilMan: shows [8h 2s 7s 5h] (a straight, Seven to Jack)
FossilMan collected 1440000 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 1440000 | Rake 0
Board [Jd Kd 9s 3c Tc]
Seat 1: FossilMan (button) (small blind) showed [8h 2s 7s 5h] and won (1440000) with a straight, Seven to Jack
Seat 9: O.Mustang (big blind) showed [3h 6c Ac Ah] and lost with a pair of Aces

O.Mustang said, "do they tell u what I have"
FossilMan said, "obv not"
O.Mustang said, "how can u call"
O.Mustang said, "calling with all the way wih rubish"

[ QUOTE ]
Fossilman: At this point I came to realize that he was not just a whiner, but that he seriously just didn’t understand the changing value of hands as you progressed from a full table down to heads-up play. I am pretty certain that any experienced heads-up PLO player would tell me that my call on that river was standard, with the only question being could I raise for value? I’m sure in most cases the answer is no, as there really aren’t any worse hands that I could expect to get a call from there, but folding that river would have been a horrible play by me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your heads up opponent was clearly an idiot (don't get me started on his chop negotiation). I especially like how he said "calling all the way" after he had checked the flop and turn.

Pre-flop is pretty standard since you're on the button and it's heads up. Especially if you think he's prone to overplay big pairs. OOP and/or multiway would be very different, obviously.

As for the river call (which was 3:1, btw - not the 2:1 you said in your blog), I wouldn't say it's standard since any Q + A,K,J,T,9, or 8 has you beat. And with the exception of QT (which he surely would have bet before now) you really can't eliminate these possibilities. Against this guy however, I think you could be justified, but it's close. My main defense of the call would come from the fact that his pre-flop re-raise indicates a co-ordinated hand, and almost any co-ordinated hand that hit a better straight on the river probably would have hit the flop well enough to justify a bet, at least on the turn.

Raising is undoubtedly spew unless you think he folds anything but the nuts. And again, I wouldn't count on it with this guy.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:06 AM

I like Greg's play all the way here, although I don't think the PF raise is obligatory. Do you guys think villain should've re-raised PF, then bet the flop? I think it's only good if you also re-raise a fair smattering of wraps, so I guess I won't fault him much for not re-raising. But HU I'm even a little surprized he didn't bet into it as played. I think I would have more often than not--not doing so seems to me playing a bit scared.

To Greg: Thanks very much for making this available! I'll be very interested in checking out as much as I can get through.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you guys think villain should've re-raised PF, then bet the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

What I'm thinking is, given how villain actually played the hand, he can't complain that Greg looked him up with the dummy straight. However, I hesitate to say that calling a 1/2 pot bet on the river is standard, or that folding here is horrible in general.
Old 09-26-2007, 03:08 AM

Why not just post a hand or two you have questions about?
Old 09-26-2007, 04:38 AM

Thanks a lot for posting this. Should be interesting to be able to look at the whole tournament from your perspective.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:38 AM

Wow, there are some serious amount of hands in there. :-O

I was thinking that I should go through them all, and take notes, but I realized that would take a billion years, so I quit doing that after 40 hands, and looked at your comments instead.

I have a couple of question from your early hands though, feel free to explain your play.
Hand 8: Limp/calling 6BB in MP with AhJh8h4s
Hand 11: Limp/raising/folding KsKhTh2s UTG
Hand 36: Please explain your play on every street

This is were I stopped looking at every hand.

I agree that hand 109 is not played optimal. i would probably just muck PF. Flop is icky, since we don't know if were drawing to the second(third) nuts.

Maybe I'll look at some more hands later. Thanks for sharing this Greg!
Old 09-26-2007, 08:33 AM

you should get someone to fix up your avatar, it is squished.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why not just post a hand or two you have questions about?

[/ QUOTE ]