Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2007, 03:23 PM

Default Re: Professional No-Limit Hold \'em Volume 1 Review Thread

I don't know what other peoples experiences are, but I've noticed this after reading the book; When I misplay a hand, I usually know right away, *and* know where I went wrong immediately.

Prior to reading the book, I would have to copy/paste a questionable hand and go back and study it to figure out if/how I could have played it better.

Now, I can say something like "Wow, I played that bad. I didn't get as many callers as I thought pre-flop and wizzed past the commitment threshold on the flop with a bet when my plan should have been pot control instead of bluffing a hand that didn't connect with the board. Now that I've got too much of my stack in the middle, I have to fold a hand that can't possibly be good here. Wow I played that bad. Ooh look, suited two gappers UTG. Hmm, maybe now isn't the time to mix up my play. fold. Hey - I'm getting better already."

Or something like that. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-31-2007, 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I hope that for vol II authors and other people involved in making the book check for errors more carefully than for the vol I.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes (I'll talk more about this in Vol II of my post).

[/ QUOTE ]

i lol'd.
Old 09-01-2007, 12:31 PM

I have read about 3/4 and so far I absolutely positively hate this book.

The whole book rotates around one single concept, SPR. It gives reader the view that everything is about SPR and nothing more. It gives a stupid simplistic view of poker. Just as long as you get your SPR right everything will be fine. SPR SPR SPR yada yada yada.

I am not going to start raising to 7bb with KK or limp-reraising AQ from UTG just to get my SPR "correct". I will continue to open raise the standard amount 95% of situations. Why do all the cardrunners pros open raise standard amounts (barring exceptional situations such as against shortstacks) in their videos? Is sbrugby a donkey cause he does not play like this book teaches.

Reading this book makes me so damn mad I feel like TUFF_FISH on bad tilt when reading it. It's like misinformation designed to make me play bad. I guess I am going to burn my copy, I hate it that much.

Just my personal 2c.
Old 09-01-2007, 12:37 PM

I haven't read this thread or the book but I'm opinionated and arrogant: I'm pretty sure they don't recommend an exploitable pf strategy.
Old 09-01-2007, 02:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I haven't read this thread or the book but I'm opinionated and arrogant: I'm pretty sure they don't recommend an exploitable pf strategy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, they do, with some hand-waving "of course you have to mix it up a bit" thrown in.
Old 09-01-2007, 02:58 PM

Location: coaching poker and writing \"Professional No-Limit Hold\'em\" for Two Plus Two Publishing with Matt Flynn and Ed Miller

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, they do, with some hand-waving "of course you have to mix it up a bit" thrown in.

[/ QUOTE ]

jimpo,

the "point" of SPR is not preflop raise sizes. SPR is simply a good gauge to see how different hands my play out from beginning to end. if you play in tough games where it's not feasible to do anything but raise a standard fixed amount, fine, SPR can still help you plan. (but I do wonder how you "know" beyond a shadow of a doubt that you'd be so exploited if you mixed up your pf raises.) we'll cover more advanced material in Volume Two. suffice to say, Volume One is not geared for people who play in Brian Townsend's games. Also, the "whole book" is not about SPR. It's a major chapter, and we thought it'd be a good way of framing other ideas like planning, etc. Sorry you're so upset.

thanks for the comments,

Sunny
Old 09-01-2007, 03:29 PM

Controversial!

What level of online games do you beat with these strategies, Sunny/Matt?
Old 09-01-2007, 04:19 PM

Location: coaching poker and writing \"Professional No-Limit Hold\'em\" for Two Plus Two Publishing with Matt Flynn and Ed Miller

[ QUOTE ]
Controversial!

What level of online games do you beat with these strategies, Sunny/Matt?

[/ QUOTE ]

not sure what's so controversial. to be clear, I meant that the book is not geared for like super-tough shorthanded online games. I do honestly think the concepts can be used at any level and in any game - I just think (obviously) you have to do pretty much everything well in order to beat very tough games. yes knowing ranges, equity, stack-to-pot ratios is VERY useful, but you clearly will have to also have great experience and feel for your opponents' tendencies, hand reading, postflop betting lines, balancing/masking your range, etc and everything else that makes someone a "good poker player".
Old 09-02-2007, 12:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have read about 3/4 and so far I absolutely positively hate this book.

The whole book rotates around one single concept, SPR. It gives reader the view that everything is about SPR and nothing more. It gives a stupid simplistic view of poker. Just as long as you get your SPR right everything will be fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow did you ever miss the point. Could you be a little more obtuse?
Old 09-02-2007, 05:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The whole book rotates around one single concept, SPR. It gives reader the view that everything is about SPR and nothing more. It gives a stupid simplistic view of poker. Just as long as you get your SPR right everything will be fine. SPR SPR SPR yada yada yada.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget there are well written sections on basics, fundamentals and REM too. SPR is a big part of this book, but it's only the first volume and there will be more with SPR as a basis, as I understand.

[ QUOTE ]
I am not going to start raising to 7bb with KK or limp-reraising AQ from UTG just to get my SPR "correct". I will continue to open raise the standard amount 95% of situations. Why do all the cardrunners pros open raise standard amounts (barring exceptional situations such as against shortstacks) in their videos? Is sbrugby a donkey cause he does not play like this book teaches.

[/ QUOTE ]

He probably does play a lot like the book teaches. Using fized raise sizes preflop does not mean one's not thinking about stack to pot ratio's and their implications on post flop play.

[ QUOTE ]
Reading this book makes me so damn mad I feel like TUFF_FISH on bad tilt when reading it. It's like misinformation designed to make me play bad. I guess I am going to burn my copy, I hate it that much.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL... Boy, are you upset!?