Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2007, 06:52 AM

Default horrible night

just got done getting killed on PS tonight. Lost the little bit of a bankroll that I had. I dont know seems like the more I have read the worse I play. Now I will have to play play money if I want to play poker for a while which suks. Not sure if I should even play anymore I am only going on 8 months of playing poker, I am only getting worse the more I spend time trying to learn. The more I lose.

I would like to do coaching to try and understand the things that are confusing but thats like hundreds an hour. I dont know, I like playing poker and this site is the best but I am going backwards.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:57 AM

Default Re: horrible night

Post hands in the appropriate forum.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:10 AM

as you read and learn your game changes. you are (i imagine) trying to implement new concepts you have found here into your game. This takes time to get right and it is not unusual to feel like you are going backwards. Keep reading and posting the hands that are giving you problems.

-if you can, re load and continue to use the info you find on these forums. Be patient.
Go back over your HH`s after every game and analyse where you went wrong. This helps alot. And yes, when you just busted out you dont feel much like doing it but it will help you improve. So steam for a minute or ten and then do it
Old 07-20-2007, 07:18 AM

My advice would be to slow down. If you're a beginner then trying to absorb a lot of information at once may confuse you and trying to implement what you have learned will confuse yo more. Take each section in a book you are reading as a concept to learn... read that more than once and then use it in your game. Once you think you have understood that, move onto the next one.

I'm not saying you shouldn't read the book through, but I would advise implementing each concept one at a time.

As you'll keep seeing within this forum, it's not short term results that count, poker is to be played long term. The same principle could be used within learning the game... just take your time, be patient.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:24 AM

thanks for the replies all good ideas..........
Old 07-20-2007, 08:39 AM

I went through the exact same thing. The more I read and studied, the more I lost. It turned around, though, the more I played. I can't believe the difference in how I play and understand things since I started playing 1.5 years ago. There is a huge learning curve, and I'm still battling up it, but it's getting much better. If you love it, keep at it. Play small stakes or free if you have to, but keep trying and learning.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:54 AM

I started playing a few years ago and tried to implement concept that I learned into my game. I did well at first, but then I went completely busto and took a break from online poker for a good long while and just played in friendly buy-in tournaments.

I just got back into poker and I learned that I was no where near the understanding of the subtleties of the game and realized why I was also getting sucked out. I also realized that I had no sort of bankroll management and that's what ultimated led me to go busto and lose confidence in my playing.

It sounds like you may need to get a better understanding of the fundamentals and bankroll management. Go over your hand histories and see where you lost a lot of BB's. Is it because you got sucked out or made bad decisions?

I recently got overconfident and didn't give enough credit to other players and lost 2 buy-ins in a single session. I'm currently taking a break and I looked over my hand histories and realized that I made a couple of really horrible plays mixed with a couple of plays where I got my money in good, but I just got sucked out due to variance.

Variance is not a bad thing, it's just what causes us to need bankroll management in order to cusion the affect. If you play an infinate amout of hands, you would see that variance would go to zero.

that's my 2 cents.
Old 07-20-2007, 02:56 PM

Do you think taking time off and not really playing but reading and trying to understand theory more can help. Thats my biggest goal, everyone I know plays poker 100% by feel they think I am wasting my time with math and theory. But thats the way I want to play. I had some success just playing tight pf and playing by feel , but I want to get better.

The people I play home games with are good average players and I am to, but I want to break thru and get beyond that.
Old 07-20-2007, 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...everyone I know plays poker 100% by feel..

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it's a good idea to learn limit poker by feel. On a fundamental level, limit poker is a mathematical game.
Old 07-20-2007, 03:17 PM

different things work for different people so taking time off would be a personnal choice. It never really worked for me. I`ve found myself out of sync with the way things work online after just a two week holiday.
Having said that, i do struggle more over the weekend than through the week online so recently i`ve been only playing live on a sat or sunday and reading the rest of the weekend.

The consensus around here seems to be practice, practice, practice.
You get a better feel for how situations play out that way but if things are troubling you, like bad suckouts, and you are getting tilty over them then maybe a week or two of pure study might help.

Whatever you decide is best i wish you good luck