Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2007, 03:47 PM

Default Why I Will Never play at Caesars AC again...

Sorry this is long, cliffnotes at bottom

So yesterday my friend and I decided to take a last minute trip to AC for a few hours of poker. I play poker about 30 hours a week, spread out between a few card rooms including underground games here in central jersey and usually at Taj or Borgata. The friend I was with yesterday has been seeing some success when he goes to Caesars because of the horrible players that are there (and im sure there are people here that can say its very true).

The day starts out like any other in one of the smaller cardrooms in AC. We walk in at 10 AM, there are only about 4 or 5 tables going and no wait. I take a look at the 2/5 game they have going, and notice out of the 8 players seated, i know 6 of them, so I dont sit at the game. I get seated very quickly at a 1/2 NL game. Sit down on the 4 seat, unrack my chips, and wait for it to be my BB. WIthin the first two hands, I watch a guy check call down 50-100$ bets and then fold on the river. There were 3 guys with over 1200 in front of them and I had a pretty good idea where all of their money came from. I was extremely excited knowing that there was an ATM sitting in the 2 seat. A few hands later the 2 seat goes bust and gets up and leaves the table.

I wasnt really getting any cards and I am down about 30 dollars when the guy that was sitting in the 2 seat comes back to the table and sits down to my left, even better [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I get AK suited in LP, limped around to me, i make it 15 to go, one person moves all in for 70, i re raise all in to isolate, seat 2 donk then proceeds to call my all in. Board is K J 8 A 4 and my two pair is good. I am now at about 670 and feeling pretty good. This is where things take a twist. There was a guy sitting to my right who was obviously a regular, he knew all of the dealers by name, and they knew him. He was extremely talkative so thank god for my Ipod. After about 2 hours, the table next to ours gets the bad beat jackpot hit, so while the whole room is now going nuts we are in the middle of a hand where 5 players get up and go look at what has happened at the other table. It was a raised pot with half of the players left to act. The dealer is waiting for the players who got up to come back and act on their hands. I asked her why she was waiting and that their hands should be dead and we can move on. Her response was, well most of the guys are regulars here and its not every day they see it. So to make a long story short, it takes us about 10 minutes to complete that one hand.

About 4 hours into the session I realize I am now in a game where 6 of the 10 players are regulars. Im not to excited about this because I notice they are all softplaying each other, checking down pots with big hands, etc etc. I decide I am going to play another round or two and then rack up and head over to the Taj. It was at this time that someone had pointed out that there was a player at our table who was missing for about an hour and a half. They bring it to the attention of the floor and the floor simply says, "oh yeah, SO AND SO is playing in the tournament right now but he will be out soon". Sooo I guess since whoever the guy was was a regular, he is allowed to play both the tournament and leave the table for two hours while there is a waiting list.

The dealers there were also the slowest dealers I have ever seen in my entire life. I thought that the dealers at the Trop were bad, but caesars makes the trop look like a golden room. I got into it with a dealer yesterday because she was talking during her entire down, half the time had no clue where the action was at. There was also another dealer who took it upon himself to wish me bad luck out loud in front of the entire table because during his down I raised pre flop 3 times and got no callers and took down 3 dollars, and didnt tip him. I consider myself one of the best tippers at a table, but I dont tip when i take just the blinds. So when I did win a decent hand, i raked in the chips someone goes oh dont forget the dealer, and he looks at me and goes, its okay he doesnt tip at all, i would rather someone else win the pots so that I can get tips. No need to say, he didnt get anything after that comment.

Anyone else have any bad moments like these there???

CLIFFNOTES

Dealers slow and talk too much
Floor lets regulars do whatever they want
Rude dealers complain about not getting tipped on 3 dollar pots
Old 07-15-2007, 04:01 PM

Default Re: Why I Will Never play at Caesars AC again...

That sounds about right from my one (and only) time there.
Old 07-15-2007, 04:18 PM

You are very unfortunate that you didnt get there about 4 hours earlier. I left at about 6 AM, and I was sitting in the 2/5 game with about 3 racks and I was absolutely wasted. You would have had a lot more fun if I had still been there.
Old 07-15-2007, 04:27 PM

Just to add a few and reiterate..

Dealer complains about $8 tip in big pot.
Regulars able to table change to different games when the other game has a list 20+ people long.
Never start new games in a timely matter.
Floor rulings are often ridiculous.

Best action and best comps in AC and they couldn't pay me enough to play there.
Old 07-15-2007, 04:31 PM

Usually I will say something to the effect of why I wouldn't tip. Atleast give the dealer an opportunity to improve.

But a tip is optional and if your getting bad poker-service, I don't blame you.

If a dealer cost me money (rare, but has happen) I will make a 2nd stack. Every time I win a pot, I would add the dealer tip to that second stack. Until that second stack reaches the amount of money I lost .... the dealer doesn't get a tip.
Old 07-15-2007, 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just to add a few and reiterate..

Dealer complains about $8 tip in big pot.
Regulars able to table change to different games when the other game has a list 20+ people long.
Never start new games in a timely matter.
Floor rulings are often ridiculous.

Best action and best comps in AC and they couldn't pay me enough to play there.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is all very true, especially the part about the dealers. Wow they are terrible. What I do, to cut off their incessant whining and glaring about lack of tips, is I make a huge show out of being the cheapest person in the world. I give them like $1/down, rarely more, and I make sure they know thats all its going to be. I get so tired of them throwing cards at me and glaring and making snide comments. Sorry to the few good dealers who are getting screwed, your sucky coworkers ruined it for you.

I also encourage everyone else to tip generously. I get lots of comments about how small my tips are, and I let people know they are more than welcome to make up the difference.

That place makes me such a horrible person. But Jesus, the games are sooooooo good.
Old 07-15-2007, 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Usually I will say something to the effect of why I wouldn't tip. Atleast give the dealer an opportunity to improve.

But a tip is optional and if your getting bad poker-service, I don't blame you.

If a dealer cost me money (rare, but has happen) I will make a 2nd stack. Every time I win a pot, I would add the dealer tip to that second stack. Until that second stack reaches the amount of money I lost .... the dealer doesn't get a tip.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is one dealer at Caesar's who, when its her down, I do this exact same thing. Except I don't count up to any number, I just make a pile of what would be her tokes if she wasn't such a miserable bitch. I'm pretty sure she knows what the stack is for.
Old 07-15-2007, 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The dealers there were also the slowest dealers I have ever seen in my entire life. I thought that the dealers at the Trop were bad, but caesars makes the trop look like a golden room. I got into it with a dealer yesterday because she was talking during her entire down, half the time had no clue where the action was at. There was also another dealer who took it upon himself to wish me bad luck out loud in front of the entire table because during his down I raised pre flop 3 times and got no callers and took down 3 dollars, and didnt tip him. I consider myself one of the best tippers at a table, but I dont tip when i take just the blinds. So when I did win a decent hand, i raked in the chips someone goes oh dont forget the dealer, and he looks at me and goes, its okay he doesnt tip at all, i would rather someone else win the pots so that I can get tips. No need to say, he didnt get anything after that comment.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, he is cut off for the day as far as I'm concerned and I would probably never tip him again. Most people would do the same thing, the dealer shouldn't get anything on a blind steal hand and certainly not after he says something like that.
Old 07-15-2007, 05:14 PM

Many of the poker dealers that play poker, play at Caesar's fyi. This usually makes up for good games. Others will elaborate.

Why does it bother you if they soft play each other, did this happen while you played a hand against them?

Some of the players actually sometimes enjoy an efficient "chatty" dealer.

The dealers there were also the slowest dealers I have ever seen in my entire life. I thought that the dealers at the Trop were bad, but caesars makes the trop look like a golden room.

There was also another dealer who took it upon himself to wish me bad luck out loud in front of the entire table because during his down I raised pre flop 3 times and got no callers and took down 3 dollars, and didnt tip him. I consider myself one of the best tippers at a table, but I dont tip when i take just the blinds. So when I did win a decent hand, i raked in the chips someone goes oh dont forget the dealer, and he looks at me and goes, its okay he doesnt tip at all, i would rather someone else win the pots so that I can get tips. No need to say, he didnt get anything after that comment.

Get his name and report him to his supervisor.
Old 07-15-2007, 05:27 PM

I wrote the other day that I would not play in Caesars Ac because the dealers are slow and they talk to much. You got to find out firsthand it wasn't just me. Even at Showboat AC yesterday there was a dealer who was giving me a headache because he talked so much. Also, in the 5/10 NL game I was playing at Showboat, most of the players all knew each other and the staff, and the game played more like a 2/5 game than a 5/10 game so I left. At night I went to Borgata, and I know why I play there so often, they know how to run a good ship with very good dealers for the most part.