Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2007, 10:05 AM

Default Re: FossilMan requests your feedback

[ QUOTE ]
I have a couple of question from your early hands though, feel free to explain your play.
Hand 8: Limp/calling 6BB in MP with AhJh8h4s
Hand 11: Limp/raising/folding KsKhTh2s UTG
Hand 36: Please explain your play on every street

[/ QUOTE ]

#8 - I have a weak hand, but the draws are to the nuts, and even after the raise it is only costing me 2% of my stack to see the flop. Simply put, at this early stage of a relatively cheap buyin PLO event, there are likely several players at my table who will pay off the nut flush, and even in a big way. The fact that we're still in the rebuy period doesn't hurt, either.

#11 - I thought it was quite possible that he didn't have the aces, and if not, I wanted to get it heads-up with him and me in position. Once he reraised, it was clear he did have them, and I was not getting the right price to call and try to outflop him. In hindsight it was clearly better to just call. I'm still not sure if it was a bad decision at the time or not to limp-reraise. Probably was, and if we hear from enough other PLO players who say it was wrong, I'm not going to put up a fight to the contrary.

#36 - I limped in because I had raggedy aces, and was out of position. In this spot, especially where the blinds are still small, I'd rather limp in with bad aces and try to flop top set and get paid off by the lower set or two pair who is certain I can't have aces because I didn't raise. I called on the flop because I had the nut straight draw, and the aces (which might be in the lead, though not likely), giving me 10 outs to the nuts on the turn. The turn card was obviously a bad one, but what you can't see in the HH is the timing tell he gave off that indicated indecision in his turn bet. I know timing tells are very unreliable, but it was there, and colored my decision. On the river, it seemed likely he had nothing or had me tied with the second nuts, and very unlikely he had the nuts. I thought he might also be silly enough to call my raise if he had flopped a set and didn't believe me, so I made a thin value raise.

Thanks, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)
Old 09-26-2007, 12:09 PM

Greg first of all congratulations on the win.

I don't play any tournies buti noticed you aren't tight but quite passive preflop. Is that a tourney strategy or do you play that way in cash game as well? I ask this because in a cash game Maciek Gracz said to me that in PLO raising preflop is the quick way to lose easy money.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I don't play any tournies buti noticed you aren't tight but quite passive preflop. Is that a tourney strategy or do you play that way in cash game as well? I ask this because in a cash game Maciek Gracz said to me that in PLO raising preflop is the quick way to lose easy money.

[/ QUOTE ]
This post belongs in the NVG version of this thread.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This post belongs in the NVG version of this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

hehe [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 09-26-2007, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't been able to import the file into my PTO database, so I have no statistics, but when I was watching the final table, it looked like he was raising pre-flop more than just about anyone else, except perhaps O.Mustang.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:38 PM

Hey Greg, I'm just in-between classes so I'm not going to read your summary and go into specific hands ATM, but I just wanted to say 2 things.

I railed you for the last couple of hours of that tournament, and I've gotta say, you are a hell of a tournament player. I see you play the Hi/Lo game a lot on Stars so clearly, your pre-flop hand selection full-ring game is good. Also, I thought that you made great late-position raises and flop steals throughout the tournament, and adjusting much better than the other players at the final table when people started to get knocked out and the game got shorthanded.

Also, it was nice to see that you are a friendly, talkative player at the tables. It's a pleasure to play at the same site as you.

Congrats on another tournament win! Now that you have your PLO credentials, you should come play the 25/50 game every now and then... I'd love to see you there. Anyways, good luck in the future, and given some free time, I'll do a few hand reviews later.
Old 09-26-2007, 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks.

You're probably thinking of the early part of this tournament, not the end game, as I was very aggro for the last few hours. But, my normal style in a cash game is very little raising preflop. I don't think it helps much to define the opponents hand by raising in PLO, but unless you raise with a wide variety, it does help to define your own hand. So, I generally only raise with good AA hands, and the occasional small/medium wrap hand (to balance and disguise the AA hands).

Early in any tourney, I play pretty much like I would in a cash game, and don't worry about going broke. I only do my best to accummulate chips, whatever the risk.

Thanks, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)
Old 09-26-2007, 04:06 PM

Do you really mean that you only raise the blinds with ultra-premium hands? Or do you mean "reraise" when you say raise?
Old 09-26-2007, 04:21 PM

Hi Greg,

Now when you are reading this thread, could you please list your top5 forms (which games you find most fun) of poker? You were talking about this topic in some WCOOP final table coverage, but clear list would be nice. Thanks.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you really mean that you only raise the blinds with ultra-premium hands? Or do you mean "reraise" when you say raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

I truly mean I only raise with my ultra-premium hands, and with enough "other" hands so you can't pin me down. If it folds to me in very late position, I will raise with any hand I want to play, but in early position, or after other limpers, I don't raise much.

Greg Raymer (FossilMan)