Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2007, 06:20 PM

Default Re: Why is Vanessa Rousso always blabbing about game theory?

Well coming from my perspective, as a grad student studying math, I can tell you game theory is a pretty complex topic, but it has very little to nothing to do with great poker. I have a very strong math background, but do I really use it all that much for poker? Not really. Game theory describes how to win different types of "games" (mostly those dreamt up by the mathematicians studying them, go figure that), it is not a research area that interests me, but some people enjoy it so more power to them.
Old 08-01-2007, 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well coming from my perspective, as a grad student studying math, I can tell you game theory is a pretty complex topic, but it has very little to nothing to do with great poker. I have a very strong math background, but do I really use it all that much for poker? Not really. Game theory describes how to win different types of "games" (mostly those dreamt up by the mathematicians studying them, go figure that), it is not a research area that interests me, but some people enjoy it so more power to them.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are some game theory aspects to things like bluffing frequency and raising/calling frequencies against very tough opponents. Game theory allows you to find the optimum frequency based on pot size and such, and allows you to pursue an optimal strategy. Its not the holy grail of poker but its not entirely meaningless.
Old 08-01-2007, 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
As a total sidenote, I never knew about this pokertowatch thing, and there are some really good episodes on here. I particularly enjoy when high stakes cash game players have no idea what "running it twice" actually means in terms of EV and fairness.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you referring to the hand with Chad Brown and Antonio? (As a further side note.) I did not understand why Antonio agreed to run it twice when he was a pretty solid favorite. Isn't the point to get all your opponent's chips in the pot when you have him 3 to 1?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that I read in the Sklansky forum that running it twice reduced the variance but the ev remained the same. I was gonna look at the posts in depth later, but for some reason I removed it from my favorites. Now I go to Sklansky forum and he opened it up for everybody to post, but now I can't find any of the previous posts. The lord giveth and the lord taketh away. Apparently we can post now, but we can't read all of David's previous sordid admissions or about runnin' it twice. Or more probably I just suck at the interwebs and it's archived or sumpin.

Edit: ahh, if I open the forum and click previous posts I can somewhat gain entry to Special Sklansky Forum. ldo

gg
Old 08-08-2007, 05:46 AM

Damn It!!! We gotta make a living too!!!! Don't begrudge us Jamie.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Damn It!!! We gotta make a living too!!!! Don't begrudge us Jamie.

[/ QUOTE ]

How exactly do high stakes pros like yourself make a living these days?

Of course, I've read all the old stories about your dad and Chip sitting around in the Sands waiting for the whale to show up and the feeding off his blubber, but is that still true today ? Do you sit there with David Grey squinting at you trading your money back and forth waiting for a Silicon Valley billionaire to drop by and drop a few million ?
Old 08-08-2007, 06:27 AM

I wish the pokertowatch girl played poker. Wow
Old 08-08-2007, 07:13 AM

a better question would be why is she always blabbing?
she doesn't ever shut the [censored] up, but has nothing to say its so god damn annoying
vanessa i know you read this site sometimes- the only time you should open your mouth is to eat or suck a dick
Old 08-08-2007, 09:39 AM

Default Re: Rousso Vs Gowen

At the moment I'm in a country where Youtube is blocked so for most people in my locality, unable to view the hand in question, this thread would make no sense.

However, I was in Vegas a few months back and I came up to my hotel room one night after the usual 'Tales from the Crypt' type exit from a small tourny, and as I fell onto the bed this hand was showing on a local TV channel.

I was stupefied. By stupefied I mean this...

1. to put into a state of little or no sensibility; benumb the faculties of; put into a stupor.
2. to stun, as with a narcotic, a shock, or a strong emotion.
3. to overwhelm with amazement; astound; astonish.

I could not believe what I had just seen. I waited for some sort of Old Testament type wrath to be brought apon Ms Russo from the TV commentators, for her truely abysmal, XXX rated play in this hand, and for Ms Gowen to receive collateral tribulation from the same source.

But no. A quick cut to the ads and then the programme went onto another, unrelated hand.

That poker hand was a historic moment in television history. I shall remember it forever more. Just as I can recall where I was when Mr Armstrong first put his tootsies onto the moon, or when Mr Presley expired prematurely.

Infact I used to wake up in the middle of the night, awash with sweat and screaming "I'm a fool for ever folding A4 offsuit out of position to a raise ! I repent I repent !!!"

I must thank everyone contributing to this thread for helping in my recovery. I thought I was the only one haunted in this way.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:49 AM

Default Re: Rousso Vs Gowen

[ QUOTE ]
At the moment I'm in a country where Youtube is blocked so for most people in my locality, unable to view the hand in question, this thread would make no sense.

However, I was in Vegas a few months back and I came up to my hotel room one night after the usual 'Tales from the Crypt' type exit from a small tourny, and as I fell onto the bed this hand was showing on a local TV channel.

I was stupefied. By stupefied I mean this...

1. to put into a state of little or no sensibility; benumb the faculties of; put into a stupor.
2. to stun, as with a narcotic, a shock, or a strong emotion.
3. to overwhelm with amazement; astound; astonish.

I could not believe what I had just seen. I waited for some sort of Old Testament type wrath to be brought apon Ms Russo from the TV commentators, for her truely abysmal, XXX rated play in this hand, and for Ms Gowen to receive collateral tribulation from the same source.

But no. A quick cut to the ads and then the programme went onto another, unrelated hand.

That poker hand was a historic moment in television history. I shall remember it forever more. Just as I can recall where I was when Mr Armstrong first put his tootsies onto the moon, or when Mr Presley expired prematurely.

Infact I used to wake up in the middle of the night, awash with sweat and screaming "I'm a fool for ever folding A4 offsuit out of position to a raise ! I repent I repent !!!"

I must thank everyone contributing to this thread for helping in my recovery. I thought I was the only one haunted in this way.

[/ QUOTE ]

The next JK Rowling.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

vanessa i know you read this site sometimes- the only time you should open your mouth is to eat or suck a dick

[/ QUOTE ]

This may be true, but you really shouldn't say this or type this. Come on, man. Have some tact.