Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2006, 08:26 PM

Default Re: \"Soccer\" is not soft.

[ QUOTE ]
I agree that soccer is not a wimpy sport at all.

But to claim that it's more rough than American football is no less than ridiculous. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is the most correct statement in this thread
Old 01-13-2006, 08:29 PM

whoever said soccer would garner more respect if people didn't fake gay injuries was spot on.

but you do have to be pretty athletic to play soccer. but the same goes for football.

baseball, on the other hand, only requires that you be a douchebag and kissing men.
Old 01-13-2006, 08:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Americans persist in thinking soccer is a sport for girls.

[/ QUOTE ]

If soccer wasn't a sport for girls, would you really obsess over it long enough to gather up the nerve to start this thread in the first place?
Old 01-13-2006, 09:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF was he so happy about. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

He knows that orange jumpsuits look good on him and he don't have to worry about a thang.

ScottieK
Old 01-13-2006, 09:45 PM

Believe it or not I played both varsity soccer and football. JV football in my freshman year. Varsity soccer in my Sophmore, junior year. V Football in my senior year.

I loved both sports so much, I could never decide what to do each year. I got big in my senior year, so I did football.

I ove football most, but soccer is very cool, but you really cant enjoy it unless you develop some dribbling skills.

But football is combat! it rocks to really hit someone (and not go to jail for it).
Old 01-13-2006, 09:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Soccer is a sport for girls. It is also a sport for boys without enough athletic ability to play a real sport like football, basketball, or baseball.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you really believe this, then you should seriously consider jumping off of a bridge. Have you ever even tried to play the sport? Have you ever played sports?

Get a little experience first, then post something half way intelligent.

Joe

[/ QUOTE ]

Joe,

I have jumped off bridges before and enjoyed it very much. Yes, I have played soccer. Yes, I have played other sports. I apologize for my lack of intelligence.

Sincerely yours,

Odell
Old 01-13-2006, 09:56 PM

One reason soccer is so popular around the world is because it is the cheapest game to finance. All you need is a ball and some homeless guy can play sport.

Also, America is much closer to countries like England in soccer ability than England is to America in American football, baseball, basketball etc.

The US is not that far behind most Euro countries in soccer skill, despite the fact that the best American athletes play Football, Baseball, Basketball, Hockey, Boxing, Golf, wrestling etc. ahead of soccer.

Honestly, if America dedicated itself to soccer it would be among the best by far. It would definately be better than any European teams and on par with Brazil and Argentina.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:00 PM

Americans are quickly improving in international soccer.

we were with the final 8 teams in a recent world cup. A good # of american soccer players get paid millions to play with elite European commercial teams.
Old 01-14-2006, 12:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
One reason soccer is so popular around the world is because it is the cheapest game to finance. All you need is a ball and some homeless guy can play sport.

Also, America is much closer to countries like England in soccer ability than England is to America in American football, baseball, basketball etc.

The US is not that far behind most Euro countries in soccer skill, despite the fact that the best American athletes play Football, Baseball, Basketball, Hockey, Boxing, Golf, wrestling etc. ahead of soccer.

Honestly, if America dedicated itself to soccer it would be among the best by far. It would definately be better than any European teams and on par with Brazil and Argentina.

[/ QUOTE ]

Point 1. Yes, Germany and the UK are on the breadline. In fact, we are reduced to playing in parks, with jumpers for goalposts, 27 a side until tea when our mums come out.

Point 2. Yes, the US national mens team is good. I think they're rated in the top ten in the world and they did very well in 2002- i think they were unlucky not to beat germany IIRC.

Point 3: Why is there this strength? Generally i'd argue it's a positive outcome of immigration. Claudio Reyna is the US's best player, for example. Freddy Edu is supposed to be pretty good.

Point 4. However, US football is lightyears away from being anything more than a middleweight in world football. At this years world cup, you're up against Italy and the Czech republic and on current form i'd expect you to get knocked out in first round.

Point 5- So would you do better if all your athletes dedicated themselves to football? Possibly, but I don't know how a team of seven foot tall strikers and man mountain defenders would do! On your logic China and India should win every world cup. it's a lot more complicated than that, mostly to do with the strength of the domestic set up in terms of player development. The US college system is bad for this.

Finally, the best european teams are on a par with Brazil and Argentina. England beat Argentina in the last WC. Germany and brazil are the top two in terms of finals reached.
Old 01-14-2006, 12:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
And baseball btw doesn't even come close to being athletic.

[/ QUOTE ]

dum du dum dum dum dum dum