Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Travel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2007, 05:15 AM

Default Re: Ask Cancuk about backpacking/independant travel.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I will be getting a new passport before I leave, so I think I could show the new one to Israel hostile countries, and the Israel stamped one from Israel friendly countries.

[/ QUOTE ] The government takes your old passport when you get a new one. DUCY?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not true. Usually they just invalidate it and return it to you.

[/ QUOTE ]Really? I got a new one in January and they kept the old one. Now how am I supposed to prove I've been to Portugal?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe policy has changed. I know both my parents have multiple old passports but it has been a while since they renewed I think (but within the last 5 years, so definitely after 9/11). I've never had to renew so no experience yet. Their old ones have holes punched through them.
Old 09-06-2007, 05:17 AM

From this site:

[ QUOTE ]
I'm renewing my passport. Do I get the old one back?

Yes, we return the old, cancelled passport to you. It is a good idea to keep it in a safe place as it is considered proof of your U.S. citizenship.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-06-2007, 06:15 AM

I dunno. Maybe it was because my passport was moderately damaged (it went through the wash but I had only the occasional problem with it) and wasn't a renewal. The policy could have been changed when they introduced the new passports with an RFID chip and patriotic goodness on every page.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:55 PM

Cancuk and others,
Any recommendations for a backpack? How much did you spend?
Also, what kind of pants/shorts did you take. I am thinking khakis, but even those seem like they might get really hot.

Also, I really hate not shaving for a week. I don't mind having a beard, it just gets hella itchy. I am probably gonna get a straight razor that I can sharpen myself. Not much you can really say about that, just putting it out there.
Old 09-12-2007, 05:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Cancuk and others,
Any recommendations for a backpack? How much did you spend?
Also, what kind of pants/shorts did you take. I am thinking khakis, but even those seem like they might get really hot.

Also, I really hate not shaving for a week. I don't mind having a beard, it just gets hella itchy. I am probably gonna get a straight razor that I can sharpen myself. Not much you can really say about that, just putting it out there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Backpack: I spent like $100 on a 70 Litre backpack... it was probably a little bigger than necessary though. Nothing fancy.

Shorts/Pants: Ya, cargo's are fine.. but if thier heavy/thick they'll be uncomfortable in any kind of hot/humid weather. I wore lots of board shorts and "skater" type cotton shorts (billabong, hurly, etc) as those usually had deep pockets and were way lighter than typical cargo shorts.

Shaving: I brought an electric razor because I didn't want to have a massive beard (itchyness) but I [censored] hate(d) shaving.

word.
Old 09-12-2007, 02:54 PM

I have a pretty big and expensive backpack. It came to about 150 euros - luckily it was a gift, ha. The weight is well distributed onto my hips instead of my shoulders and it leaves quite a bit of space between the pack and most of my back, which means I don't get all hot and sweaty when I'm lugging it around while hitchhiking. I don't think all this is really necessary unless you're going trekking, though.

As for pants, I have just two: one pair of jeans and one pair of khakis. I don't wear shorts unless I go to the beach, but that's my thing. On hikes I either want to be protecting my legs from insects and the vegetation or from the sun, so I prefer light khakis to shorts. In cities I place more value on looking good and being presentable than comfort.

I shave like every two or three days or so, just before that point where it becomes obvious I'm just a terrible bum. I use a standard Gillette razor, it's not hard to find cartridges for them. I'd recommend Somersets shaving oil - it's a tiny little bottle and I find it irritates my skin less than most shaving creams.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:21 PM

I want to travel from Thailand to Europe. What countries would you recommend for a general outline. I'm thinking Nepal, Czeck, Italy, Spain, Amsterdam.

Note i'm 22 traveling alone and never been outside USA
Old 11-21-2007, 04:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I want to travel from Thailand to Europe. What countries would you recommend for a general outline. I'm thinking Nepal, Czeck, Italy, Spain, Amsterdam.

Note i'm 22 traveling alone and never been outside USA

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm... how are you planning on getting there? do you want to fly? Do you want to go overland? Need more info!

All of those countries are sweet, but there's a whole lot of places in between Thailand and Italy.... what are you looking for? I'm not sure why you would go to Asia and just go to Thailand then fly to Europe. Seems kind of a waste.